Chapter 27 : Kyoka, Origins

A/N: this is just a filler chapter since I have no motivation to continue along with the story rn. But dw I haven't given up on this book

Tanjiro POV

Kazuki's burial was a sad one. I'd lost not just a comrade but a good friend. I remembered his deep care for Kyoka and Mio.

"Hey, Mio..." I sadly smiled as she waited just outside the Butterfly Mansion for Kazuki to come back. "Kazuki...he's not going to return..." It broke my heart to see her little innocent face red and sad with tears.

"N..no! Big brother said he'd come back! He- he always does! C-cause big brother is strong! He never- never loses!...right?" Mio's voice cracked at the last word and tears ran down her face like a waterfall.

Despite still recovering from the injuries I'd acquired from my mission on the Mugen Train, I managed to pull little Mio into a comforting hug. "I'm gonna miss him too. Kyoka as well..." My emotions were becoming hard to contain.

"Hey, Tanjiro-" Zenitsu stopped mid-sentence upon the sight of little Mio and I, grieving those we had lost.

≋-≋-≋-≋-≋-≋-≋-≋-≋-≋-≋-≋-≋-≋-≋

The mood at the mansion was solemn, but the one thing that troubled me was the note that was found in the pocket of Kazuki's haori. The writing wasn't his, and the note was addressed to Kyoka.

The note read,

Kyoka,

I've bestowed this letter into Kazuki's possession. So that one day you shall learn why you were so special. We are one of the remaining villages who still believe there are Demons in our world. Others over the course of time have forgotten their previous generations' knowledge. Some refuse it to be true. But we have held steadfast. Keeping the flower the Demons seek, safe. You, my dear, would never have lived if your mother hadn't used that power. The flower's petals contain healing properties beyond imagination. To save her child your mother used that flower. That child was you, my dear. And that my dear is why we keep you safe. You are that flower now.

You are the Blue Spider Lily.

With Love, Grandma.

The flower was unfamiliar to me. However, this flower was vital for the demons. If Kyoka was eaten, would the consumer gain powers? Or would it simply have another feast? Either way, I wouldn't let her be hurt.

"Tanjiro!" Mio tugged on my haori, looking up at me with her sweet little innocent eyes.

"Tanjiro!" She tugged my haori again.

"Yes, Mio?" I looked down at her and ruffled her hair.

"Come look at the cherry tree!" She took my hand and tugged me outside to look at the cherry blossom that was in bloom.

I felt a pang in my chest knowing that was the tree Kyoka used to sit under. The one she'd rest under after training with Inosuke. Or when she would hide behind the tree, playing hide and seek with Mio and the other girls at the Butterfly Mansion. Or simply just to think.

"No matter what...I'll get her back. Safe and sound." I whispered, my fists clenched at my sides.