Chapter 25

As the weeks and months dragged on, Aeloria felt like a prisoner in her own life. The constant supervision weighed on her more each day, making her feel more trapped than protected. Yord's presence, once a source of comfort, now became suffocating. No matter how many times she begged him to give her some space, Yord stood firm.

"I promised Master Sol and the council, Aeloria," Yord said, his tone apologetic but unwavering. "I have to protect you, no matter what."

Aeloria huffed in frustration. "It feels like I'm the one being punished. I didn't ask for this."

Yord's expression softened, but he didn't relent. "I know it feels that way, but I can't let anything happen to you. Not again."

Aeloria turned away, her jaw tight with resentment. She felt the familiar sting of her isolation, how everyone she cared about seemed to drift away or disappear. Jecki was gone, Master Indara... even her brother had betrayed her. Now, all that was left was Yord, and his dedication to the council's orders made him feel distant, more like a guard than a friend.

"Every time I step out of this room, you're there," she muttered. "It's like you're waiting for me to fall apart."

Yord's gaze flickered with something she couldn't place—guilt, maybe. "That's not it at all, Aeloria. You're strong. But after what happened... I can't take that risk."

Aeloria's chest tightened. He couldn't take the risk. It was always about the risk, the danger, the possibility that she might break again. She felt her throat tighten with the urge to scream, to lash out, but she swallowed it down, unwilling to let Yord see how much his words cut her.

"Maybe it's me that's the problem, then," she whispered bitterly, so quietly Yord barely heard her.

He stepped closer but hesitated, unsure of what to say. "Aeloria... don't think that."

"I don't need a bodyguard, Yord. I need my freedom-"

"I need you as a friend."

But the unspoken truth hung between them—until the council decided otherwise, she had neither.

Aeloria clenched her fists as she stared out at the Coruscant skyline, memories of Jecki's laughter echoing in her mind. Qimir had taken that away from her. He had taken Jecki's life, and with it, a part of her heart. The thought should have made her hate him—should have filled her with rage. And yet, every time she closed her eyes, she felt that same pull, that same dark allure that had always drawn her to him.

How could she still feel this way after everything? After he murdered her friend in cold blood? The guilt shes feeling right now is eating her alive.

She bit her lip, forcing herself not to cry. Not again. Not in front of Yord.

The door to their shared room clicked open, and Yord stepped in, watching her with that familiar, careful expression. He didn't ask how she was feeling anymore—there was no need. They both knew the answer.

"You've been quiet all day," Yord said softly, but Aeloria didn't respond.

Instead, she thought of Qimir. She thought of how she had wanted him dead. She had wanted to strike him down with her own hands, to make him pay for everything he'd done. But deep inside, she also knew she wanted answers. Maybe even more than vengeance.

"Do you ever wonder," she started quietly, her voice almost a whisper, "why I didn't kill him?"

Yord frowned, stepping closer but staying cautious. "You had the chance."

"I know." Aeloria's jaw tightened. "But I didn't take it. Why?"

Yord stared at her for a moment, and then his voice softened. " I don't know."