「15」The Tree

15 | THE TREE

     "W-WHAT WAS that thing?" Gray stammers, still trying to process what happened.

     "I don't know exactly, but Claire referred to it as the asset. It's a genetically engineered dinosaur." Liana responds as the trio trek through the leafy jungles of Isla Nublar.

     "They created a new dinosaur?" Zach questions in disbelief, "That's a horrible idea." The trio walk for a few minutes in silence before Liana finally decides to stop.

"I'm done - I'm just going to sit down right here and die a slowly." she states as she plops onto the ground, leaning her back against a large tree. "Who knows, maybe that Mega Dino will come and eat me." she adds, "I hope it does, because I am not walking any farther." she murmurs.

"Five minutes, and then we'll keep going." Zach exclaims before sitting on the ground in front of her.

Liana brings her knees towards her chest, as her gaze falls on Gray, who is looking around cautiously. "What if there's a dinosaur out here?"

"All the dinosaurs are in paddocks, Gray." Liana exclaims, "Well, except for that hybrid one that tried to kill – and I'm going to shut up now." she mumbles as she sees the boy's eyes widen with fear.

Gray awkwardly comes and sits beside Liana, his vision still examining the trees around them. Zach lets out a small chuckle and Liana turns her head, staring at him with a confused look. "What?"

"Avengers?" he asks, staring at the band aid on the girl's knee.

"They're cool. Plus, I'm setting a trend." she responds before extending her leg.

"Aren't they like for children?" Zach questions.

"No!" Gray and Liana say in unison.

Liana prepares to say something else, however she accidentally hits her elbow off the tree behind her. She pauses, realizing the sound it made when her elbow hit it. Liana stands up and backs up, earning confused looks from Zach and Gray.

"What is it?"

"It's a door." she replies, realizing that she didn't notice it because of the leaves covering the exterior. Zach and Gray stand up as she pushes away a bunch of foliage to find the handle. Once found, she grasps the iron handle, causing the door to squeak a bit. Zach and Gray shuffle beside her and grab a hold of the large handle as well. After a few hard attempts, the door finally swings open.

They step through the doorway, to find a semi-destroyed building covered in tons of foliage. "Isaac, that crazy son of a brachiosaurus was right." Liana murmurs.

"Do you know where we are?" Gray asks.

Liana nods, "I know this neighbourhood. I got beat up in that alley. And that parking lot. And behind that diner." Liana successfully earns a chuckle from Gray with her reference, however Zach blankly stares at the two.

"From the first Captain America movie?" Liana mentions, as he stands looking at them with a puzzled expression. "Dear lord, if we make it out of here we are so going to have a superhero movie marathon." Liana sighs.

"Is that a date?" Zach asks, raising an eyebrow.

"It can be if you want it to be."