63.

Deonté Carter

June 14, 2024
Home.
~~~

"Ugh man."

"You straight? I was about to come wake you up because you kept tossing and turning."

I mumbled sitting at the dining table drinking a cup of coffee.

"Nah man," Mac sat up from the couch, "I could barely sleep. Keep dreaming about Q and it's messing with me."

I sat my cup down, "Yeah, I haven't slept either. It just doesn't seem real man."

"Yeah...speaking of Q though, what you think about Sha reaction to hearing that shit?"

I shrugged, "I don't know...you know he tries to hide shit but we know he hurt. I mean they were closer than ever and he can't even see him. I don't even think they'll let him out for the funeral."

"I doubt it."

"Have you talked to your sister?"

He shook his head, "Nah...I'm tryna stay off the radar for now. If I'm up here doing some illegal shit I don't need nobody to know I'm here. It's best for me to just lay low until the funeral."

"So, what's the plan?"

"Plan? There ain't no plan. We gon ride around and until we find these niggas. Knocking em off one at a time all while keeping a low radar. I got us ski masks and gloves."

"What about our fits? All black?"

"Fits? Nigga you worried about the wrong shit we ain't ninjas. But if you wanna wear all black then go ahead. I just need you to pull it together. When we get out there tonight we going straight for blood. I ain't no sparing nobody...you get what I'm saying? Aim for the right places." He became serious and I just nodded my head.

"Cool."

This was a very nerve wrecking situation. I grew up in the church, and my faith in the Lord runs deep. I couldn't even picture myself taking a life. Deep down I'm still fucked up about shooting Foo. This ain't the life I wanna live, but I also don't wanna just sit back while these niggas gloat about killing my brother.

All I could think about is what's gonna happen after. Will the police find out and lock us up? Will I be fucked up mentally for the rest of my life? Would this shit make the news? How would this shit affect my future?

I'm a very goal oriented person. I have big dreams for myself and future kids. I'm not a street nigga, nor do I claim to be. I just can't help who my brothers are and what they're associated with. I don't wanna let Sha down, because believe it or not I feel like if we don't do something now then he's gonna do something later.

Sha ain't new to this shit, and I know he's probably going through it.
~~~

Shamir Miles

Jail.
~~~

"Lunch."

An officer yelled sliding my food in the room. I sat still staring at the old dried out breakfast I hadn't touched from earlier. I sat in the same position all night just staring at the wall. Stomach rumbling, throat dry, and head pounding. Why the fuck they had to kill my brother man?

"Knock knock."

Officer Brooks smiled entering my room. I completely ignore her uppity mood continuously staring at the wall.

"Miles, I've got something for you." She boasted pulling a phone out her pocket. "Ta dah, I figured you'd be happy to call your girlfriend."