Prologue

It was the beginning of their sophmore year, three months before Dean Winchester's birthday. He would turn sixteen in January.

And just a week after that Castiel Novak would also turn sixteen.

The two had never met before, they never had any reason to. He was one of the most popular kids in school and she was the shy, nerdy kid that kept to herself and always sat in the back of the classroom.

He was the one who would party on the weekends if he felt up for it, but still had good grades in school. He never showed much interest in school however - always talking or passing notes in class, hitting on a few girls here and there, never brought books to class and didn't really need a locker. But Dean was somehow friends with everyone. The jocks, the nerds, the fangirls/fanboys - all of them. Or, almost all of them.

She knew him well though. They had gone to school together since the second grade, and she had noticed him right away. It was embarrassing to admit - even to herself - but she had even doodled his name a few times in their later elementary school years. She still had a crush on him, but not as bad. It's not like it mattered anyway - he had never noticed her, and probably never would.

Well that's what Cas thought anyway. Just like she thought she would have another simple birthday at home with her brothers; Michael and Gabriel. Just like she thought she'd have another normal school year sitting quietly in the back of the classroom, scribbling notes as her teachers rambled on.

What was to come in the next three months, was the last thing she had ever expected.