𝟎𝟎𝟐

IT was a fresh morning, the sun peeking over the horizon, casting a soft, golden light across the town. You adjusted your uniform, glancing at Sakura as the two of you strolled down the street. He was wearing the same Furin uniform as yesterday, and though it looked a little crinkled from the previous day's fight, he wore it with his usual aloof demeanor.

You were chatting away, as usual, completely unaware of how closely Sakura was listening to you—though, from the outside, he probably looked like he wasn't paying attention at all. He had his hands tucked into his pockets, his shoulders slightly hunched as if to shield himself from the embarrassment of being seen with you while blushing furiously. Every now and then, he'd sneak a glance your way, his heart racing for reasons he wasn't ready to admit, but you were too caught up in your own rambling to notice.

You were animatedly discussing your shared interest in martial arts as you both walked side by side. The conversation had started lightheartedly enough, but it quickly turned into an exchange of admiration, though it was clear that Sakura was still awkward about the praise you were giving him.

"You know," you said with a grin, "I was really impressed when I found out you have a black belt in karate." You turned your head slightly to catch his reaction. "It explains so much about your fighting skills. I mean, I've got a black belt too, but I didn't even know about yours until this summer."

Sakura's cheeks flushed a deeper shade of pink, his gaze darting to the side as if trying to avoid the compliment. He fiddled with the collar of his wrinkled uniform, clearly uncomfortable with the attention you were giving him. "It's not... that big of a deal," he mumbled, his voice trailing off as he tried to brush it off like he always did.

You laughed softly, sensing his discomfort but choosing to push him a little more. "Well, it definitely is a big deal. You were amazing yesterday, especially with that end speech you gave! I found it to be really cool."

Sakura's eyes widened slightly, and for a moment, he remembered the moment vividly. He had leapt high into the air, adrenaline rushing through his veins. His voice had rung out loud and clear, filled with defiance. "So, you delinquents are trying to play hero! And all you gotta do is win a fight? Even someone like me can manage that!" He'd twisted mid-air, aiming a precise kick at the goon behind them. "And this Bofurin crap—guardians of the neighborhood? That sounds awesome! I'm totally in!!!"

Hearing you praise him now, though, made him feel a strange mix of pride and embarrassment. He wanted to hide his face but also felt a small surge of warmth from knowing that you had noticed, that you had been impressed.

"Yeah, well," he gruffed out, "It wasn't too bad, I guess." He glanced at you briefly before looking away again, his heart pounding in his chest. Despite his best efforts to appear nonchalant, the slight curl of his lips betrayed how much your words meant to him.

You beamed at him, noticing the subtle shift in his demeanor. "See? You know you were cool. Theres no doubt that you'll make it to the top." You felt yourself freeze slightly then blinked. "Speaking about making it to the top," you began, your curiosity piqued, "what do you think the leader of Bofurin is like?"

Sakura tilted his head thoughtfully, his gaze drifting upward as he mulled over your question. "No idea," he admitted after a moment, a determined look in his eyes. "But I'll defeat them," he declared with pride.

You didn't say anything back.

As you both strolled through the town, the peaceful morning air was interrupted by a soft, pained groan. You turned your head to see an elderly woman, her face twisted with discomfort as she tried to shuffle forward. She muttered under her breath, "Oh dear, my hips... they're just not what they used to be. I can't even walk on my own..."