a Ghost from the Past

Carly stared in shock at the woman in front of her. Sorscha had changed, her hair was long and tied back in a ponytail, which fell over her shoulder. She still wore the same glasses, but the left lens was cracked, and underneath she wore a leather strip across her left eye. A thick scar ran down the left side of her face, starting above her eyebrow and ending at her jawline. This injury had probably cost her the eye.

Carly snapped out of her shock and reached for her bow. Sorscha, however, slung her rifle over her shoulder and simply turned to walk away.

Carly was back on her feet by now, bow ready to shot.

"Stop right there!" she shouted.

The Irish ignored her.

"Stop!" Carly shouted.

But Sorscha just kept walking when an arrow hit a tree next to her.

Now she finally stopped, sighed and sat down on a fallen tree. She placed her rifle in front of her and pointed to a stone in front of her.

Carly approached cautiously, her bow ready with a new arrow.

"I'm not going to hurt you. If you want to talk, we can do that now," said Sorscha.

The young woman looked at her suspiciously. But when she saw Sorscha in front of her. She saw a broken woman.

Carly lowered her bow and sat down on the stone opposite her.

Sorscha looked around. " Are you alone?"

" No."

" You probably live on the farm not far from here. There are a few settlements around here, but I want to be alone these days. But that wasn't my question, where are the others? Are they still alive?"

It had been a long time since Carly had thought about the others. "Reece is still alive."

" mmmh, I thought so."

" But he's the only one."

Now Sorscha looked at her in surprise. " Really? What happened to the others?"

" What do you care!"

Sorscha shrugged her shoulders. " I just want to know."

Carly couldn't judge the woman in front of her. Sorscha's eyes were empty. No spark, just cold.

" Winter was killed by a horde.... Autumn killed Mia."

"Why?" asked Sorscha.

"Because Winter's death was indirectly her fault."

" Well Autumn has always been murderous..."

Carly nodded in agreement, something in her head was telling her that this situation could have been prevented. " Marjorie died of puerperal fever..."

"So she was the one who was pregnant! I should have known." Only now did Sorscha show something like emotion. "Did the child survive?"

" Yes.... Autumn died when she protected me, Reece and the baby." Carly didn't like to remember it all.

"Sad what happened to them."

" Don't act like that Sorscha! You're a monster! You killed Char! Threw Viv off the roof! Beheaded Agatha!"

" And that was just the tip of the iceberg. I've killed so many people, I can't even tell you how many. I killed mothers, fathers and even children in front of their families... and all because I thought I could take London and save humanity.... I thought it would fill the void left when I lost Clodagh and Quinn..." she looked up and looked Carly straight in the eye. "But do you want to know the horrible truth. I can't even remember their faces."

"So because you were a bit sad, you did all those cruel things?"

Sorscha nodded." You could say that."

Carly was stunned. " If you had the chance to start all over, would you do it again?"

" No... If I could start again from scratch. Then I would have killed you all by the forest."

Carly had heard enough, she grabbed the rifle lying on the ground and took aim at Sorscha. But she didn't even flinch. "Why would you say that!" Carly shouted.

"Because it's the truth. If I had never taken you all to the prison, my people would still be alive." She leaned forward and rested her arms on her knees. "You've never done it before, have you? You've never killed a human being. I can see it in your eyes. That's rare in these times. You should keep it, once you start, you'll lose your humanity."

" I don't care about that! You deserve nothing but to die!"

Sorscha raised her eyebrow. "I'm not hanging on to my life. But Carly, don't become a killer. What would the others say if they saw you like this?"

Carly lowered her rifle slightly.

"Well Mia and Autumn would have already pulled the trigger. They probably wouldn't even let me speak. But what would Charlie say? Or Winter? Marjorie? And what are you going to say to Reece when you go back? I don't want anything from you, Carly. I just want to spend the rest of my life alone until I die."

Carly had to think about those words. What would the others say? What would Reece say? He always did everything he could to make sure she didn't have to kill anyone. But a part of her wanted revenge.

She was conflicted.

"What are you going to do now?" asked Sorscha.

________________________________

So that's it, the final choice. What should Carly do?

Pull the trigger

Or

Not pull the trigger

I really want you to take your time with this decision. It will determine the end of this story. So you have 24 hours.