Family

"Fionna! Breakfast is ready!" I hear my mom yell from the kitchen. "I'll be there in a minute!" I yell back as I get out of bed. I look at the clock to see it's already 10 in the morning. I walk towards the bathroom so I can brush my hair which is sticking out like I got electrocuted. When I finally smoothed it out good enough, I walk into the kitchen to see my mom has cooked banana pancakes with bacon. I notice my dad has a letter in his hand. That meant one thing. My dad has been called to The Arena to play laser tag against a criminal. I grab my plate that has a pancake with six pieces of bacon (I love bacon) on it. I sit down next to my dad. "Is that letter from the authorities!" I ask my dad. "Yes it is. I'm going into The Arena tomorrow. It says that there are five other participants that are going to be on my team. I wonder who I'm going up against?" My dad looks curiously at the letter. "Do you have to go?" I ask, hoping that maybe there's a chance he could get out of the battle somehow. "Of course I do. Don't worry. This isn't the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last." My dad answers while looking at me. My mom comes to the table with her plate of pancakes. "Don't get too upset Fionna. Your dad knows what he's doing rather than those idiots who usually get chosen." My mom tells me while taking a giant piece of pancake and stuffing it into her mouth while syrup drizzles down her chin. My dad and I both look at her curiously as she continues to gobble down her pancake with more syrup drizzling down. "What?" My mom somehow asks with a mouthful of pancake. "Have you ever heard of something called manners?" My dad asks. "Don't act all innocent. You know you do the exact same thing except in a more disturbing manner." My mom says after swallowing. "And what's THAT supposed to mean?" My dad asks. "It means you're worse than me Mr. I must eat my pancake in one bite!" My mom stands up with an empty plate. I also have finished my plate while my parents were having their little argument. I gave my plate to my mom and as I turn around, I see my dad with his pancake fully in his mouth with puffy cheeks. "How exactly can you do that?" I ask my dad. He shrugs. "Why don't we just leave him alone for now? We could always go to the park." My mom suggests. I nod as I go to my room to grab my book. When I'm ready to go to the park, my dad has finished his pancake. My dad comes up to me and hugs me. "I want you to remember if I do end up dead tomorrow that I always loved you okay?" My dad asks. "Of course." I answer. When he pulls away, I say my goodbye and I walk to the park with my mom. When we get there, I notice a couple families are already here. I decide to go by the lake to sit. When I get closer to the lake, I notice a boy is crying by the lake. "What's wrong?" I ask the little boy. He turns around and stands. "My mommy is dead and now my dad is dying. I don't even have a family anymore!" The boy then bursts into tears while breathing heavily. I sit next to him to comfort him. "Don't worry. The Caretakers will always be there for you." I try to comfort him. He calms down rather quickly after that. "That's right. I have the Caretakers to go to. Thanks for cheering me up!" He then runs away. Then I think "I'm lucky to even have family."