[00] Prologue

I've actually had this story since like 2009, but I never really took the time to write it. I thought I'd give it a try. Tell me what you think :)

~ENJOY

Prologue

***

“Wow! Look at these ladies go at it!!” The announcer’s voice blared through an old radio in a small diner. “Neither of them is letting up even a little. They’ve both managed to keep their serve games, so the score is still a tie with four games to four.”

I grinned and handed the waiter the money for my meal. You’d better not lose, Kari, or I’ll have your head! I thought to myself as I exited the small diner. I quickly entered a taxi and directed the driver to the National Junior Ladies Tennis Tournament.

Luckily for me, we arrived much sooner than I predicted and I was able to see my twin sister, Kari score the match point. The score was now four games to five and it’s her opponent’s serve game.

Ah, you’re probably wondering who I am, right? Well, my name’s Amamiya Ayumi, I’m eleven year’s old and I’m Japanese. My sister is currently playing in the finals of the National American Junior Ladies Tennis Tournament otherwise known as NAJLTT. She’s the only eleven year old to compete. I was in it along with her at first, but I lost in the semi-finals. I lost against the same opponent she’s against now so she’d better not lose.

I watched the rest of the game from the stands with much anxiety; I had never seen her struggle so much with an opponent before. She actually went all out. She used all the tricks and moves she knew at the time and only managed to win her serve games.

She looked beyond exhausted, yet determined. Again, I had never seen her show such emotion before. She looked like she really wanted to win, but she wasn’t having fun. In fact, she looked like she was in pain.

If only I had noticed earlier maybe I would’ve been able to stop the next series of events.

It’s her match point. The point that determines everything. If she gets this point, she’ll break the tie and win the game. She stops to return the ball, but instead collapses. Her legs had given up on her.

She hits the ground with a thud and silence rings through the crowd. She lets out an agonizing wail and grabs at her right knee. It was then that I realized. Her legs didn’t give up on her; she’s seriously injured.

I am frozen as the paramedics arrive and put her on a stretcher. The other player wins by default and the ice finally melts.

I run as fast as my legs could possibly take me to the paramedics. I enter the ambulance along with her and our father.

On her face is an engraving of pain and disappointment. She covers her eyes with her arm, but I still see a single tear run down the side of her sweaty face.