[09] The Real Akari

Chapter 9: The Real Akari

***

*Cheiko*

Ahh, I always feel calm after a Sunday morning run. With no morning practice for planned exercise, I have Sunday mornings all to myself.

With a proud grin, I head to the tennis courts I usually jog to for some extra practice, as per usual. Except, today, they seem to be occupied.

Wait. Isn’t that Akari?

I jog a bit closer only to find that she’s in a match. Her sister’s watching and she doesn’t look too happy. Questions explode in my mind. The main one being, what the hell is going on?! I slow to a walk to get within earshot.

“Out. 30-40. Advantage, Sachi.” The umpire says. Who is that anyway? Akari frowns and even from here, I can see where the ball bounced, it was definitely in.

“Oi! What the hell do you mean ‘out’?! Anyone can see that was clearly in!!” Ayumi fumes from inside the fence. Akari doesn’t say a word, but gives Ayumi a pointed look. A look that clearly says, Stop, I’ll deal with it.

I stand by the fence, watching. I wonder how she plans to ‘deal with it’. I may be wrong, but it doesn’t look like the first time it’s happened.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Akari angry, but I’m pretty sure she’s close to it. Sachi, as the umpire announced, prepares to serve. She bounces the ball once, twice before sending it flying toward Akari with enough force to have me quite impressed.

Akari on the other hand, is not impressed. She returns it easier than I ever imagined she would. And if I didn’t know better, I’d think she improved more than ten times since I played her.

My focus is piqued as I watch the rally. But, something’s off. I’m not really sure what it is, but for some reason it feels like the court seems smaller?

No, that’s not it. Akari’s barely taking any steps, yet Sachi’s sweating buckets. What the hell is going on?!

“That’s the real Akari.” Startled out of my mind, I almost screech before noticing it’s only coach. He chuckles. Then I remember what he said. The real Akari? So what, she wasn’t real when I played her?

“What do you mean, coach?” I ask, still focused on the match. Sachi sends a lob, probably hoping to gain some time to retaliate. Not a bad plan, however, it’s a clear path for a smash.

Even without looking, I can tell he’s smiling. I have no idea why, though. “You’ll see.”

Akari doesn’t smash the ball, she slices it in midair as it’s falling. The ball gets within a hairline of the net before landing in the very corner of Sachi’s court. Eyes wide, we watch as the ball skids across the court in a small circle before stopping exactly where it landed.

The ball never bounced. It looked almost like... Syusuke-kun’s Tsubame Gaeshi. How is that possible.

“Is it in now?” were Akari’s first words. She turns and heads to the bench.

“Ah. Game, Akari 5 games to 2” my eyes widen. Akari’s winning? But, why didn’t she use that move on me? Why did she hold back and make a fool of herself when she was this good to begin with?!

More questions surface faster than I can answer them.

I watch Ayumi and Akari talk animatedly from the other side of the court. In one more game she wins, and yet she was so ready to lose to me. Why? Why must I have a weak Akari, yet Sachi gets a full beating? Why?

Before I can convince myself otherwise, I approach the twins. I must have answers, and I will play a rematch with Akari.

***

*Akari*

Why, oh why did I just do that? I mean, I don’t usually get angry on the court, but it’s one thing to accept a challenge and another to be cheated out of winning.

It all started when I gained the first three games on her without really trying. Seriously though, can you blame me; who decides to play a match at the crack of dawn on a Sunday?! That’s just rude.

So, wanting to get my much needed sleep, I decided not to hold back. It’s not my fault she’s weaker than me.

Then her friend, who I originally thought was the nice one (not anymore!) starts calling outs when the ball gets within an inch from the outside lines. I almost always target the lines, they work for me.

Before I knew it, I was beyond pissed. She was the one who called the challenge; the least she could do is be fair about it.

Besides, showing off a move or two isn’t that bad, it’s just my sister. At least, I thought it was just my sister watching, who knew Cheiko-sempai was watching too. I sure didn’t. That is, until I saw her stomping over to us looking rather furious.

Ayumi notices her first, “Cheiko-sempai, what’re you doing here?”

She barely even glances at my sister, “I should be asking you that.” She continues glaring at me like I killed her dog or something. “And you, what the hell was that?!”

I make a face, “What was what?”

“You know exactly what I’m talking about. That slice just now, what the hell was that?!” She didn’t have to repeat her question for me to know exactly what she meant; I just kind of hoped she hadn’t seen it.

I let out a sigh, “What about it?”

Her eyes darken, “’What about it?’?! How about the fact that you had that stored away when you played me. I was over here thinking you were weak, and then I see that!” She exclaims, fuming.

“Look, in my defense--” I’m cut off by Horiko glaring at me after apparently repeating that break is over. How nice of her.

I turn to the courts, but am stopped by Cheiko-sempai. “We are not done here. A rematch is in order.”

I nod, not really liking where this is going. She then points to Horiko, “You. Get up. I’ll be the umpire.”

My jaw literally drops at least five miles. Excuse me, what?!

Horiko seems to think the same. “Excuse me, what?!” She asks, not moving an inch.

“You heard me. You aren’t being fair. Now get up.” Cheiko-sempai is not backing down. Too bad for Horiko, then.

She slowly nods and climbs down from the bench. Cheiko quickly takes her spot. “Players, take your positions, we will resume from five games to two. Akari to serve.”

*******

Hi all!!!

I am proud to say that from this chapter onward, I will be updating every two weeks!! Yay I actually have a schedule now, so you all can look forward to that.

And! if I do not comply on time, I give you all full permission to annoy the life out of me until I do! :))

SO! In that case, Chapter 10 will be out on March 7, 2014 latest!

Thanks to all who are sticking with Akari in this moment!! I love you guys!! :D

~MissChryss ;)