Chapter 5

"Good luck." Bramblestar touched his nose to Alderpaw's, a gentle glow in his amber eyes. "Know that, however far you might be, the Clan will always be with you."

"Thank you, Bramblestar." Alderpaw felt a fuzzy warm feeling fill his insides at his father's words. As he dipped his head respectfully, he could feel the gazes of his watching Clanmates burn his pelt even more so.

As the Clan leader turned to send his well wishes to Sparkpaw, Squirrelflight replaced him and fondly brushed the apprentice's cheek with her muzzle. "Don't get into anymore trouble," she warned, but her voice was kind. "And, whatever happens, just make sure you get yourself back home."

Alderpaw could only nod, a lump in his throat preventing any reply. Once again he felt numb with the thoughts of what awaited him on his quest, and if he would ever return. Then he gave his pelt an irritable shake. Of course he would-- he had to.

His mother gazed at him for a moment more, her eyes glimmering with a mixture of sadness and joy, before she wordlessly turned to vanish amongst the pelt of the other cats. Alderpaw already felt the ache of missing her, but forced himself to look away. Nearby, Lionblaze and Cinderheart were instructing their own kits on how to behave, and though the littermates feigned annoyance, he could feel the affection radiating from their pelts.

Finally, they stepped back, and Leafpool rose to her paws. She had been waiting at the camp entrance but now lifted her head to speak. "It's time," she mewed, her voice firm and clear.

Though Alderpaw felt his stomach clench, he couldn't help but feel a wave of excitement. Finally, he could follow the path of what StarClan wanted him to do. There would be no room for doubt any longer.

The cats meowed their last goodbyes, tails lifted but heads low. Alderpaw met his parent's eyes and held them for a few heartbeats before looking away, already feeling homesick. Unable to stay still any more, he turned to stand next to Leafpool as the other cats clustered around. With one last wave of her tail, the tabby medicine cat led the way out of the exit.

Sparkpaw brushed against him as they left the safety and comfort of everything they had known. Her eyes were alight with enthusiasm, but no words needed to be shared. Both of the siblings understood the other's feelings of nervousness, tension, and eagerness.

"Farewell!" The voice of a Clanmate drifted on the air from behind them. "Claw those rogues for me!"

"Make ThunderClan proud!" Alderpaw recognized Lionblaze's gruff mew, and his whiskers twitched in amusement. Perhaps it was simply hysteria, but a sheepish grin had appeared on his face.

Sorrelstripe sighed, her eyes darkening. "I'll miss them."

"We should be back soon enough," Leafpool purred comfortingly. "And now is the best time to start. We'll head around the lake for the horseplace. A little ways past that are the Twoleg dens."

"This is going to be so fun!" Sparkpaw breathed, bouncing on her paws as she skipped around Hollytuft. The black she-cat added her agreement, looking much more calm and relaxed than any other cat, besides Leafpool.

The tabby she-cat led the way confidently, her pawsteps even and steady. Though her fur was bristled in anticipation, like every other cat, her face gave away no feeling but mildness. Alderpaw was impressed with her composure. He felt as if he were leaving behind every cat he knew for good, and his paws trembled as he walked through the forest.

Weak sunlight dappled the ground, but the air had a colder edge to it, signalling the oncoming leaf-fall. Dew glistened on the leaves, making the forest seem to sparkle, like a last send-off for the departing cats.