Part 4

After two weeks, I was up and about. I suppose when you've gotten into the CCG, bruises and broken bones were a common deal. Heck, torn off faces were usual. I remember the initial shock I had when I saw Chuu-san's face without the weird turtleneck. It was only my third day of field work, when a classmate of mine, trying to impress another classmate, said, "Ha! Killing ghouls is super easy! I can do it with my left hand!" Chuu-san just happened to be around to hear, "Really boy? Let's all take a look at your skills, shall we? Maybe you can survive without a scratch." The guy visibly weakened at the sight of his superior. "Maybe you could have avoided this." Chuu-san said, pulling down the turtleneck to show the kid what The Doberman had done. The guy moved further and further back until he hit the wall. "You've barely even looked at a ghoul. Don't talk like you've met one." He said menacingly, walking away as the boy slid down the wall. 

The nurse was making me stretch, making sure I was able to move around properly. I could feel some pain, but it was numbed with painkillers. Cricking my neck, I made my way to CCG headquarters, all pumped up about nailing a ghoul or two.

Fura-san met me on the upstairs to the conference room. "All ready?" "Yup." "Documents?" I snorted, "My memory is enough." Fura-san smiled at that. He knew that I had an eidetic memory, I could vividly remember almost everything. Which would explain exactly why my PTSD still wasn't cured. "You've mentioned the Aogiri tree many times." I briskly nodded, "Yes. I think the ghoul who beat me up had a connection. He was somehow related to the gourmet ghoul, the one with the weirdly classy mask. And colorful clothes. But... When I traced where and what he dealt, it gave me more of an Aogiri feel." Fura-san nodded, trusting my instincts. My intuition hadn't led me awry yet, but I always preferred more evidence before I could act on it. Fura-san knew that, which was why he chose not to interfere with my investigations. 

Finally, we reached the conference room. All the special class investigators were present, including Arima-san. I noiselessly gulped, walking in with as much confidence as I could muster. Getting to the board, I welcomed all my superiors. I had been practicing for this very thing. A huge presentation with all the heads. Some in person, some through the web. I opened my mouth to introduce myself after the welcoming, but suddenly, "Aaah. [Name]-san!" I blinked, turning towards the voice. It was Suzuya Juuzou-san. I couldn't help but smile at the antics of the male. He was just so enthusiastic and bouncy. But looks could be deceiving, that I realized when I saw him fight. He was maniacal. But he always bought a grin on my face, sometimes a sweet one and sometimes a crazed one. "Hai. Suzuya-san, it's good to see you." 

Marude-san cleared his throat at that, my head snapped towards him. Giving an apologetic look, I began introducing myself, "I'm second class investigator [Name]..." Suddenly I was interrupted by Arima-san, "First class investigator [Name]." He said. My eyes widened as Suzuya-san happily continued with, "Hai! Congrats, [Name]-san!" I looked over at Fura-san, who was grinning openly at me, and gave him a 'seriously?' look. He merely shook his head and gestured for me to continue. 

I began with the presentation, highlighting all my methods, accomplices, contacts, and suspicions. It went on for over an hour. When I was done, there was a discussion on what was to be done. We drafted a plan, a plan that involved Arima-san and me so far. It was also predicted that it would lead to a huge battle between the CCG and the ghouls yet again. 

When it was done, I had to wait for everyone to leave before I could breathe again. But one person remained. 

My new partner.

Who was now looking straight at me. 

I gulped, not knowing what to say.

"Arima-san, it is an honor to be working with you." I began. The male remained motionless, but his chin, which honestly made him fit into a yaoi manga/anime, bristled a little. "I don't think you remember, but I would also like to thank you for saving my life. Arigatou gosaimasu, Arima-san." He gave a slight nod, "How is your brother?" I blinked. He remembered? "F-Fine, Sir." He nodded and walked out of the room.

Before I could blow out a breath of relief, he poked his head back in, "Would you like to have lunch? I would like to discuss the details of our assignment." 

"H-Hai, Arima-san." I stammered, speed-walking towards the door and following him like a lost puppy.