The Weight of History

Drekken stood by the edge of the wood and surveyed the ravine up which they had travelled. Four days since they had set out up into the mountains and no sign of any pursuers did not mean he could let his guard down, but it did mean he was a little happier letting the group relax in the shelter of the trees at the head of the valley. He turned to see Keril tumble over her own feet as she played chase with Renar and he had to smile. The hatchlings were holding up surprisingly well, Renar leading their little group, and Drekken admired their resilience.

Liittle D, as well, was growing stronger each day feeding on Drekken's magic. Cradling the sling with his left arm was now a habitual position and the child's presence in his magic and his mind had become a comfort on the difficult journey. His reactions were still baffling him at times, and he was coming to the conclusion that Yakov had only been half teasing about his hormones, but, hormone influence or not, of one thing he was very sure, the baby in his care had become worth more to him than life itself.

D was restless, turning around in her carrier and clicking to herself from time to time. It was behaviour Malachi had assured him was a good sign, but it also normally signified something and Drekken only realised what it was when Yakov walked over to him, hooked a hand under his arm and, pulling him towards the others, told him, "Lunch time."

He was hungry.

Drekken let himself be led, still also vaguely conflicted by his reaction to Yakov. There had been no safe haven opportunity for a repeat of their encounter in the cavern, but sexual attraction was only part of a developing set of emotions that Drekken harboured for the young empath. Yakov was an open book, his honesty almost verging on naiveté, but it made him endearing and Drekken could understand what had drawn Malachi to protecting him. He caught himself smiling again as Yakov dragged him down in front of their lunch and then leant against him as he reached for some frugelberries.

Malachi raised an eyebrow from the other side of the food he had laid out, but he was smiling and Drekken just rolled his eyes. Yakov remained oblivious to the silent moment the two other men shared and busied himself by passing out food to the dragons and stuffing his own face with the sweet berries.

Malachi had proved himself to be a proficient hunter with Drekken's side arm and there was cold pheasant from the night before as well as nuts and berries for lunch. When his mouth wasn't full, Yakov did enough talking for all of them, and so Drekken just nodded his thanks to Malachi as he took a mixture of the three foods. However, he did not get a chance to pass any of them to his mouth, because D's head appeared from inside her sling and she chirruped at him and then sniffed the air.

"You want some?" he chuckled as the baby strained her neck to see what was in his hand and then lowered his lunch for her inspection, adding, "You won't like it."

A wisp of tongue flicked out at a flugelberry, but very quickly D then reared back and made a hissing noise.

"You don't approve then," Drekken concluded with a snort and, almost as though she were old enough to understand him, Baby D snorted back and then clicked her distaste up at him.

Drekken responded this time by rolling air over his tongue and trilling quietly at the baby. Almost instantly, she lifted her head up and trilled gently back at him and Drekken felt his magic rise. He lowered his face to the little dragon and nuzzled the side of her head, varying the pitch of his sound and enjoying the waves it generated in his connection to his charge. However, when he raised his head again, he found he was being viewed with surprise by his companions.

"Where did you learn to dragon sing?" Malachi asked.

Drekken grinned at the impressed looks in both youths' faces and replied, "My mother taught me, I think she secretly wanted me to follow in her footsteps."