Chapter Two

Oriana followed Dustan blindly as he led them through the hidden corridor of the castle, away from the fallen lord that Oriana came to admire throughout her life. But how did Dustan know about this corridor? Why did he come at this time? What was going on? Who is this Salome? Why did she want the Book of Legends? There was so many questions running through her mind and she didn't have the answers to any of them.

Soon after walking some distance Dustan stopped and let go of Oriana's hand and she could hear him feeling around the brick wall as if searching for something. Then she heard something that sounded like a hitch giving way and she saw a crack of moonlight to reveal some sort of doorway. There she saw Dustan push on the door and soon she saw that she was in the courtyard.

"Dustan," Oriana said softly as if she spoke any louder they would be found. "What is going on?"

Dustan turned to Oriana and placed his finger to his mouth indicate to her that she shouldn't speak yet. He then motioned to her to follow him towards the stables where she could see Vera standing by the door way. What was Vera doing out at the stables at this time of night?

"Vera, what on earth are you doing here?" Dustan whispered, apparently he was as surprised to see her as Oriana was.

The lively red head glared at Dustan as if she was offended by his question. "Are you seriously thinking about leaving me behind? There is no way you two are leaving me behind when you know just as well as I that I are capable to join you on whatever quest you are taking Oriana on. I'm not as stupid as you hoped I would be."

Dustan moaned quietly and shook his head. "I didn't want you to get hurt that is why I wasn't going to bring you. Don't you see, Vera? This is dangerous. It's bad enough that I have to take Oriana!"

"Wait a second, what is going on?" Oriana whispered as she stepped between her two best friends.

Dustan turned to Oriana and the look in his eyes scared her. It was a look of dread and pain. As if he knew what was going to happen and he couldn't stop the danger that would come their way.

"I have to take you to see my father." Dustan said quietly as he led the two into the stable to retrieve some horses. "He knows more about the legend than I and would better inform you what has to be done. Lord Cornar is dead and you are left unprotected. I have to keep you safe."

Vera gasped as she heard that death of Lord Cornar and turned to Oriana, knowing that this had to affect her friend just like the death of Lady Celeste had affected her.

Oriana nodded and followed Dustan to open the gate to her favorite horse and one she had bonded with since she was first fouled, Sunfire, a black horse that galloped as if she was on the sun. She was the fastest and most independent horse that Oriana knew. "You know about the Book of Legend then?"

"Yes." Dustan answered as he passed the mustang, Diamond, to Vera to mount. "I have known since I was a child. My kind has always known about the legends."

"What do you mean you're kind?" Vera asked as she tied her bag that she had in her hand onto the saddle of the mare. "Are you saying you're not even human?"

Dustan chuckled in his throat as he picked up two large bags from the wall nearby. Apparently he had planned ahead of time on what was to be coming next in their life. "Not completely." He answered as he tugged the knot snugger on the saddle. "I'm half human, half werewolf."

Vera gasped loudly and then covered her mouth as she looked around to make sure she hadn't caused any alarm on the grounds. "You've been lying to us all this time?" she accused him.