Chapter Eight

Tristan was standing at the cave entrance, being careful not to expose himself to the sun. It won't harm him, but he didn't want to bring unnecessary attention to their location.

It was then he saw a small cloud of blue flying towards the mountain. The closer they got it became more clear to him that they were blossom petals and he watched as they arranged themselves on the cave floor at his feet to create two words.

Hello Tristan. He could not help the grin that crossed his face. Oriana must have been training that morning and sent him a message. This meant she was not able to succeed in being able to talk to him as they have had in the past. But he knew she was safe and was on her way and that was all that mattered to him

"Well, well." Elveena murmured as she joined her nephew and looked at the message on the ground. "She must be a natural. I assume this is from your friend."

Tristan smiled as the petals moved due to the draft in the cave and the message destroyed. "Yes. We haven't been able to talk since late last night. Something is blocking us from talking to one another."

Elveena nodded thoughtfully. "Probably her dragon is stopping the communication. If the dragon is who I think it is, that doesn't surprise me. They have their reasons for what they do."

Tristan turned towards his aunt, his right eyebrow raised at her comment. "How could they know what is going on between us?"

Elveena smiled sweetly at her nephew and touched his cheek softly. "I think Oriana is going to have to be the one to tell you that."

Tristan playfully scowled at his aunt. He knew she knew why Oriana's dragon would block him and he knew that whatever the reason was, he was going to take it a lot better coming from his newfound friend. He even got over his anger over the fact she is a dragon rider.

"Are you going to send back a message?" Elveena changed the subject as she bent down to pick up one of the blue petals.

"How?" Tristan asked, clearly confused. "I'm not a fairy or a rider, how can I send her a message?"

Elveena chuckled softly as she turned to face her nephew and stepped out in the sun, her pale skin glimmered as it did with all vampires that stepped in the sun. It didn't harm them, but exposed their true beauty as their skin glistened like diamonds, their eyes shined like sapphires, and their hair shined.

Vampires already had unnatural beauty that attracted other creatures to them, but the sun only accentuated that beauty to where it was unbearable for anyone to look at. It was even hard for Tristan to look at his aunt as she spun under the sun. Her dark hair fanned out around her, her arms outstretched, and her dress belling out. Something she hadn't done in years.

"Go onto the top of the mountain and stand in the sun where she can see you glisten." Elveena told him as she stopped spinning and faced him. "She should be able to see a glimmer and know it is you."

Tristan began to shake fear. Never in his life had he stepped out in the sun. He feared being out where others could see him. His mother loved the sun and spent all the time she could to be in it and he saw how beautiful his mother was with her honey blond hair and chocolate brown eyes. She was a remarkable sight, but he couldn't bring himself to set out with her as a child.

Elveena watched as he nephew fought his fear to do what she suggested. She knew the fear was unfounded but it would show to Oriana that he trusted her and got her message. Even if the young dragon rider did not know about his fear.

"Think about it. Tristan." Elveena whispered gently as she left him at the entrance of the cave, the blue petals gathering at his feet.