Part Forty

Chapter Forty

It was traumatic, the pressure of walking into the highly charged room, Simon was sat in the defendant's area looking very subdued, Freya recognised the woman sat behind him crying as his wife, and she hated what she had to do. But he had wanted to hurt her, he HAD hurt Mitchell Cooper. That couldn't go unpunished, plus he was ready to sell her down the river, to blame her for his indiscretions.

So instead, she stood strong and told the court how he'd ruined her life, disrupted everything, and that he'd caused her to lose faith in her own home, lose confidence in herself, and how she treble checked she locked the door these days. The judge listened in silence, and it was easier to focus on him than the rest of the court. When she finished he thanked her and adjourned the court for contemplation. She had no intention of hanging around to hear his sentence. She rushed out the back door, separate to the main entrance to the room, needing fresh air, desperately.

A long marbled corridor led her to the front door, and she took it at pace, nausea combining with the nerves and unease of the day to make her feel unwell. As she reached the large foyer, a voice to her left stopped her.

"You bitch! You chased my husband, threw yourself at him. And now this?"

Freya turned slowly to see Simon's wife marching towards her, face red with anger, words flying like daggers from her mouth. "I had to sit in that courtroom and listen to all your bullshit! How dare you?"

Freya took a deep breath, watching the irate woman approach, as she was about to open her mouth and defend herself, another voice stopped them both.

Mitchell Cooper.

"Your husband attempted to kidnap Freya, assaulted me AND blamed industrial sabotage on her, she could very easily have pushed this further, raise the charges, but she didn't. Because she's TOO damn nice. So get away from her now before you make a complete fool of yourself."

"How dare..."

He waved a hand in front of her face, "no. Stop now. Your husband pleaded guilty because he couldn't deny what he did. If I'd had MY way then he'd have been charged on a lot more than assault. I can assure you."

She floundered for a few seconds, and it gave Mitchell Cooper enough time to take Freya's hand and drag her away from that woman.

"If you as much as LOOK in her direction again..." he squeezed Freya's hand then finished, "I'll have the police at your door within seconds for harassment..." Glancing around he grinned, "nice to see this happened in front of SO many witnesses. Hey?"

Freya hated that she felt pity for the woman, everything she knew had gone, but she had felt threatened. Mitchell Cooper's arm lifted to around her shoulders as he led her out of the building. Protecting her.

"You ok?" he whispered in her ear as they hit the street.

She nodded, "just feel a bit sick."

He groaned, "there's a cafe around the corner, let's get there, get something inside you then I'll get the car to pick you up. Ok?"

Freya felt confused, the nausea had increased she felt disorientated, and tired. Suddenly there was a coffee shop and he was showing her to a table in the corner. Sweet tea and a doughnut did the trick; she must have felt awful as she let Mitchell Cooper control her. Got into his SUV when he pulled up outside the building, then she yawned as he hit the freeway that would take them back to the warehouse, then closed her eyes, glad that she felt safe. Maybe he could change?

Coop tried to physically relax his white knuckled hands that gripped the steering wheel. He'd seen red when he saw that bastard Parson's wife launching a verbal attack on Freya. As if it wasn't enough that she'd let him get away with murder...then there was the whole 'affair' thing. He had barely contained his anger in the courtroom, and it wasn't anything to do with the bruise to the head he'd at the hands of the man. It was all about Freya, all about what the asshole and what he'd done to her.