Chapter Eight: A New Dawn, A New Bond

[Luna's POV]

I felt the warmth of the sunlight on my face as I slowly opened my eyes, blinking against the brightness. My surroundings had changed. This wasn't the guest room where I'd been recovering. The bed beneath me was softer, the room larger, more luxurious. Stretching, I yawned, my hand brushing against something hard and smooth. I frowned, my eyes still half-closed as I felt around to figure out what it was. Then a deep voice interrupted my sleepy confusion.

"You trying to feel me up, little wolf?"

I whipped around, shocked. There, shirtless and looking far too comfortable, was Darius. A shriek escaped my lips as I scrambled backward, only to tumble off the bed with a thud.

Darius's deep chuckle filled the room, sending heat rushing to my cheeks. I peeked over the edge of the bed, glaring at him. "What are you doing here?" I demanded, my voice laced with accusation. Why was he in the same bed as me? Shirtless. Why had my parents or Trent allowed this?

"Your mother said being close to me would help with your recovery," he said casually, walking over to the nightstand. He grabbed a shirt and pulled it over his head, though not before I caught a glimpse of his sculpted body. The Moon Goddess had taken her time creating him, that was for sure. I found myself wondering what it would be like to touch—

I was snapped from my daydream by the sudden warmth of Darius's breath near my cheek. "My little wolf, control yourself," he murmured, his voice low and teasing. "I could smell your arousal from across the room. In due time."

I swallowed hard, my face flaming as I scrambled to my feet, brushing imaginary dust off my night robe to cover my embarrassment. "I don't know what you're talking about," I said, forcing confidence into my voice. I marched past him, determined to escape this humiliation, but before I could make it far, his hand caught mine, pulling me back.

He leaned down, his face so close to mine that I could feel his breath on my lips. If I stood on my tiptoes, we would be kissing. "You sure about that, princess?" His voice was a soft challenge.

Suddenly, a low growl rumbled from my throat, and my eyes glowed without warning. Startled, I pulled away, my mind reeling. "What the hell was that? Did I just... growl?"

Darius's eyes gleamed with amusement as he tugged me back to him by the waist. "Yes, ma chérie. That was your wolf making herself known. She's eager for us to complete the mating process."

I blinked, my heart pounding. "Complete the mating process?" Memories of strange dreams I'd had before meeting Darius flooded back—his glowing red eyes, the sensation of sharp teeth sinking into my neck. "You... have to bite me?"

Darius laughed, the sound rich and beautiful. "Not bite you. Mark you. But that's only one part of the process. Before we can mate, we have to complete your coronation. My mother will crown you as the Bloodmoon Pack's Luna. After that, we'll have the Unification Ceremony..." His voice trailed off, his expression tinged with embarrassment.

"Unification Ceremony?" I asked, growing more suspicious by the second.

Darius's smile faltered as he tried to change the subject. "My little wolf, you must be starving. Let's go downstairs and join the others for breakfast."

I crossed my arms, leveling him with a stern look. "Darius. Answer me."

He stepped closer, brushing his thumb across my lower lip. "Don't pout, it's too adorable. I won't be able to hold myself back."

I stomped my foot in frustration. "I'm not kidding, Darius! Why are you avoiding the question?"

My patience was wearing thin. Whatever this Unification Ceremony was, it clearly wasn't something he wanted to discuss. But before I could press him further, Darius gently took my hand and guided me to sit on the edge of the bed. "You might want to sit for this," he said, sighing heavily.