Chapter I: Come play the devil's game.

This book is dedicated to 30SecondsToDarkness who got me to update and write this idea into a chapter in a day.

^^Luci played by Nina Dobrev^^

CHAPTER ONE: Come play the devil's game.

"Come on Malakai, it's just a game. Come on it will be fun," Mila slurred her words as she stumbled over my way, her feet dragging heavily across the sand. The bonfire whipped fiercely in the brisk wind and was a torch in the pitch black night. The music boomed from Jensen's car playing some catchy rock song which created the perfect mix along with the beer as everyone was in high spirits. There were about fifty or so people here but I only hang out with ten and considered them to be my friends. I hadn't had anything more than a gulp and while the others were buzzed I was more fascinated in watching them and how they reacted. Like Mila became an enormous flirt and it wasn't attractive either. In fact her way of flirting was actually quite pitiful and embarrassing as she pushed her boobs up and rapidly blinked her eyes. I assume she did this to look sexy but in all honesty it only made it hard for me not to laugh at her.

She was around about a foot shorter than I with bottle-dye blonde hair that I knew was medium length, fixed with extension to make it long. It was quite oily or possibly damp from the sea water if she had taken a dip, it made her hair look lifeless. Her skin was pale as if she had never seen the sun or had become one of those fictional vampires that are so popular nowadays. Her eyes were a deep brown that was sort of boring in my opinion, no sparkle of emotion except for lust which was not appreciated on my behalf. I wasn't into girls who just threw themselves at another and even when Mila isn't drunk she is still a tart around college. How is she going to be in a workplace? This is the midnight graduation party for university after all.

I looked around knowing that the friends that I had made had no clue what they wanted in life but now all had degrees except for Jensen, everyone knew that it was his passion to be a detective. I couldn't say much though because like everyone else I had not much clue of what I wanted. I got myself many degrees though and people always talked of me going places with my phycology, sociology, anthropology, criminology and biology degrees as well as med school. I can't lie about the length of time that it took me, it was very many, long years but I studied hard for random things that I'm interested in. Whether or not I want to turn those interests into a career is unknown to me. I only went to university so that I didn't have to deal with my parents talking about the future and also I didn't want to spend my life in Cattle Down, a rich country area where I grew up. An addition to my sudden going to school without a set plan was because of my girlfriend or should I say ex-girlfriend would have run my life into depression.

If we were together life would have been obvious. We would get married suddenly after I had accidently knocked her up and I shall get a boring desk job that pays really well where I was the big boss. Checks would be flying in and we would have a big house by the lake where four of our children would be raised for the rest of their lives unless a lucky one made it out. In the end I would cheat on her with my assistant while she slept around with my best friend. I would spend most of my nights drinking myself to oblivion while she had emotional outbursts. The kids would have to grow up listening to us fighting all the time and in the end it will get carried out of proportion and something dramatic shall happen. After all of that then she will start taking pills just to get high and I would be utterly depressed and end up hanging myself in the backyard on our old willow tree by the age of 55. So instead I went to university and cheated on her with Mila so that she would dump me. When I last spoke to her over the phone she had just started dating my old best friend, Jack but that was 2 months ago. My parents recently informed me that she was pregnant and that the two of them shall be getting married. They also told me that Jack got a new job as a senior manager at some upper end company and that the pair of them had found a lovely house by the lake. Figures.