chapter 2

Shark Facts #89. A common myth is that sharks don't attack in the middle of the day. And that may be true - but it's likely because most beachgoers get out of the water to rest or eat at lunchtime, so there aren't as many people around to cross paths with sharks. Sharks don't follow the same three meals-a-day eating schedule as humans, they eat when they find food, no matter what time it is.

Shark Facts #88. Punching a shark in the nose or poking its eyes won't help to fend it of. Better to aim for the gills - or, if your aim is off, the much bigger target of the snout. Most sharks don't want to work that hard for their food and will swim away.

Shark Facts #87. Surfers are more likely to die from drowning than from a shark attack, but it is true that great whites can be confused and intrigued by the shape of a surfboard. From beneath the surface, a great white might mistake the board's outline for that of a seal, walrus or sea lion.

Shark Facts #86. Almost all sharks like to do their hunting solo, but scalloped hammerhead sharks prefer to travel in schools during their summer migration.

Shark Facts #85. Tiger sharks, great white sharks and bull sharks are behind most shark attacks on humans. These species live almost everywhere, are large enough that their prey is human size, are powerful enough to inflict a fatal bite and are at the top of the food chain, so they aren't afraid to attack.

Shark Facts #84. Sharks may seem like a permanent part of the ocean, but according to the World Conservation Union, 20-30 percent of sharks are close to extinction. The main culprit? Commercial fisheries accidentally catching sharks on their hooks and nets.

Shark Facts #83. In the extremely rare event that a shark bites you, it probably won't take a second taste. In attacks on humans, sharks typically bite, hold on for a few seconds and then let go once they realize they're not tasting a sea creature.

Shark Facts #82. Sharks that eat their siblings' eggs in the womb aren't vicious. They're just seeking out nutrients to sustain themselves as they grow.

Shark Facts #81. Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Island were inspirations for the fictional town of Amity Island in Steven Spielberg's 1975 thriller Jaws. The movie may have contributed to a decline in beach attendance in the late 1970s, even though great white sharks are said to be uncommon in northeastern waters.

Shark Facts #80. Great white sharks eat 11 tons of food a year! Compare that to a human being: Each of us eats closer to half a ton of food every year.