chapter 4

Shark Facts #69. What's older than sharks? Almost nothing. Sharks have been swimming in the ocean for more than 400 million years. They predate practically everything that has a spine, including humans and dinosaurs.

Shark Facts #68. Shark fin soup is a delicacy in China and is served at important events, like weddings and anniversaries. When dried, the fins take on a texture and shape similar to noodles. According to tradition, longer noodles mean a longer life when you eat them. There's a downside, though - finning leads to the deaths of 73 million sharks every year.

__

Shark Facts #67. Exactly how a shark comes into the world depends on its species. Some, such as horn sharks, hatch from egg cases called "mermaid's purses." These tough, leathery pouches protect the eggs while the sharks are growing.
__

Shark Facts #66. You'd need a lot more than just a bigger boat to track down the shark responsible for a particular attack. Unlike what you saw in Jaws, sharks can travel hundreds of miles in a day, so it doesn't take them long to leave the scene.
__

Shark Facts #65. You may have heard that the pliable cartilage in a shark's skeleton is a potent cancer fighter. However, scientists have found that over-the-counter pills containing shark cartilage don't reduce the growth of tumors, and their side effects can include making you sick to your stomach. Researchers are still studying the molecules that make up shark cartilage for future use in medicine.
__

Shark Facts #64. You may think of sharks as ravenous, man-eating terrors of the sea, but in reality, only 3% of the more than 500 species of shark - a small minority - are known to attack humans.
__

Shark Facts #63. Shark attacks occur around California because U.S. government protection of sea mammals, like seals, sea lions and sea otters, has increased their populations off the West Coast. There's more food for sharks there, and humans just get in the way.
__

Shark Facts #62. The frilled shark's circular mouth, filled with more than 300 spiny teeth, earns it the nickname of the modern Loch Ness monster. You won't find it near Scotland, though; it calls the oceans around Japan, New Zealand and Africa home. See video at shark fact #71.

__

Shark Facts #61. Sound waves travel fast and far in water, so sharks have no trouble picking up low-pitched noises from movements such as fish schools, swimmers and even Coast Guard helicopters flying low over the ocean. See video at shark fact #30
__

Shark Facts #60. Humans are the shark's biggest predator, but killer whales, crocodiles and seals have been known to eat sharks as well. Large sharks will even go after smaller, younger sharks that might make easy prey.