The gift

It was that time of year again. Snowmen stood atop hills, the temperature was around -30, cheesy Santa signs were decorating snow filled yards, lights were strung up on trees, presents were placed under the trees, mugs of hot chocolate were strewn about the house. Yes. Christmas. It was Aaron's least favorite time of year. All the couples were kissing under the mistletoe, all happy and and flirty. Aaron hated it. He had his eye on one boy, Jeremy Fisher. But Jeremy hardly recognized Aaron. Not this year. Aaron thought. He was invited to a Christmas party and knew Jeremy would be there. As Aaron trudged through the sticky, cold snow, the boy shivered as snowflakes caught in his collar. He kept the small gift under his jacket where it would be safe from the snow. The box contained a note and a watch that he knew Jeremy wanted. It was all the boy would talk about these days- Jeremy that is. Aaron rang the doorbell to the party hosts house and the door opened. The aroma of gingerbread cookies and hot chocolate wafted out the door and beckoned the boy inside. As Aaron took his snow clad boots and thick jacket off, he noticed a very lonely Jeremy sitting on the couch. Aaron walked over and sat down beside Jeremy. "H- hi. I'm Aaron..." Aaron stuttered.
Jeremy looked over at Aaron and saw the blue wrapped box.
"Hi. I'm Jeremy. What's in the box?"
"Oh it's n- nothing. Just a gift."
"Oh."
The conversation died down as a girl walked over to the two boys. She placed a hand on Jeremy's shoulder and said, "Hey honey. Wanna come over to my place after this?"
"No thanks Rebecca."
"Oh Jeremy come on."
"Rebecca, no thanks."
The girl huffed and said to Aaron, "Your boyfriend is so not fun."
She reached over and grabbed the box out of Aaron's hands. She threw the box down and stomped on it. Suddenly Jeremy stood up and started scolding Rebecca. Rebecca left and Jeremy faced Aaron. "Sorry about her. She's my ex and she's still not over our break up."
"No need to apologize."
Jeremy bent down and picked up the squished box. He noticed the watch. "Nice watch. Bet your girlfriend really likes this watch." Jeremy said knowing it was for him.
Aaron's face flushed and started to explain. "It's n- not for my girlfriend."
"Who's it for then?"
"You." Aaron muttered.
Jeremy sat down beside Aaron, closer than before.
Aaron looked over at Jeremy, their noses a mere centimeter apart. His face turned red even more. "I've had a crush on you since sixth grade, Aaron Sanders." Jeremy said, placing his hand on the other boys leg.
Aaron didn't know what to do. He was tongue tied. "Look. Mistletoe." Jeremy said pointing up above them. "Hate to break tradition."
With that the two boys kissed passionately. Aaron felt an emotion he'd never felt before as he tasted the other boy's sweet, soft lips. Love. He felt love. Jeremy drew Aaron closer, his hands running through the other boy's hair. Neither of them wanted the kiss to end, but it had to when they needed air. But that didn't stop them from kissing more, each time more passionately than the last.
After a little while, Jeremy gave Aaron his phone number and left, forgetting the watch on accident. Jeremy could still taste Aaron's lips on his, the taste of hot chocolate mixed with vanilla and cinnamon. The road was getting slipperier and the snow had begun to get worse. Jeremy could hardly see through the windshield of his car. His phone bleeped but Jeremy ignored it, knowing his fate if he answered. He could see the red glare of the stop light faintly. He pressed on the brakes but the car wouldn't stop. Jeremy felt panic and dread arouse inside. He heard the tires screech and felt the other car smash the side in. Jeremy's head hit the dashboard and felt his skull crack. Blood oozed everywhere in the car as the car flipped on its side. He heard his ribs crack, puncturing several organs. The glass of the windshield shattered, getting in Jeremy's face. He winced and gasped, that movement causing his broken ribs to poke a hole in his lungs and heart. The boy was soon dead due to blood loss and frostbite. In his last moments, he thought of the watch that Aaron had given him. Jeremy tried to lift his arm to admire the beautiful gift, but grew sad as he realized it was gone. He felt a few tears escape his eyes, freezing on his cheeks. He shut his eyes, never to open again. When Aaron heard the news, he sobbed in his room. He never commited suicide, but always grew to hate Christmas, even more than the last.