Part 38~The Play

The play moved on, and the different members of the group grew annoyed. Sokka muttered about the jokes his character was making while Katara hated her 'hope' persona.

Hachi was annoyed at how weak and fearful the play made him, while Zuko's persona was becoming more and more unflattering, making him an active traitor. The only people really enjoying the play were Isu and Toph.

Toph had yet to see herself, and Isu was laughing at her over violent persona, which she seemed to accept.

The play went through the days, showing Katara stealing her water scroll, Jet and his band of misfits the Great Divide before getting to the Northern Water Tribe, watching Yue turn into the moon.

"Don't go, Yue. You're the only woman who has taken my mind off of food," the actor Sokka called out before he kissed the Yue actress. "Wait, did you have pickled fish for dinner?"

"Goodbye Sokka. I have important moon duties to take care of. And yes, I did have pickled fish."

Sukie laughed, a smile on her face. "You never told me you made out with a moon spirit."

Sokka shushed her, his eyes welling with tears. "I'm trying to watch." That was the wrong thing to say as Sukie huffed and crossed her arms.

~~~

Isu hummed as she stretched her arms. "Well, I'm enjoying myself." She got a chorus of groans from her companions as Zuko lowered his head.

"So far, this intermission is the best part of the play."

Hachi patted his shoulder softly when Sokka walked by, holding a bag of flaming fire flakes. "Apparently, the playwright thinks I'm an idiot who tells bad jokes about meat all the time."

Sukie smirked to herself. "Yeah, you can tell bad jokes about plenty of other topics."

"I know!" Sokka crunched on his fireflake as Katara scoffed.

"At least you get to do stuff. That woman playing me is nothing but a preachy crybaby who can't resist giving over-emotional speeches about hope all the time." Katara paused, seeing everyone staring at her. "What?"

"Yeah, that's not you at all. You also give angry preaches," Isu laughed as Katara glared at her.

"Listen, friends, it's obvious that the playwright did his research. I know it must hurt, but what you're seeing up there on that stage is the truth," Toph announced, lowering the mood even more.

~~~

"Well, here we are in the Earth Kingdom," the fake Katara announced as fake Hachi stepped up.

"We'd better have a look around to see if we can find an earthbending teacher."

Toph grinned, beaming in excitement as she waited. "This is it. This must be where I come in."

Fake Hachi and Isu returned to the others. "We flew all over town but couldn't find a single earthbending master."

"Here it comes," Toph whispered as a trap door opened.

"You can't find an Earthbending master in the sky, you have to look underground." Fake Toph was a giant man towering over the rest of the cast.

The group started to laugh, not affecting Toph's eager deposition.

"Who are you?" Fake Zuko asked as the Toph spat.

"My name is Toph because it sounds tough, and that's just who I am." The fake Toph fixed his muscles as the audience laughed.

"Wait a minute. I sound like a guy. A really buff guy," Toph questioned in confusion.