Chapter One - Heavenly Fire (Pt. 2 of 2)

Author note: Part two of chapter one is finally here! I'm excited for this chapter and even more excited for Chapter Two. I've included a preview at the bottom for Chapter Two. Please note that this is only a second draft of the chapter (the first part is a second draft as well). I will be spending the next week working on completing Chapter Two, and then I'll be spending the week afterwards revising the Prologue and Chapter One. Enjoy!

Chapter One - Heavenly Fire (Pt. 2 of 2)

Taylor felt the sudden onset of a near scorching pain at her chest. She pulled hard at the chain that held the ring of Solomon. It was alit with a soft orange glow and was hot in the palm of her hand. Taylor had read much and more of Solomon and his ring. But it was unclear what exactly the ring was capable of. Some believed it to be a mere symbol for power more than it was an actual powerful relic.

The realization immediately sunk-in that this was neither her nor Alex's memory. Was this real?  she found herself wondering once more. She looked at her hands; they were in fact, her hands. She let the ring fall back to her chest and tucked it back under her shirt. It no longer had the touch of cold steel, but like a warm kiss pressed to her skin. Taylor was unnerved as she stepped through to the glade.

The grass was cleared in a near perfect circle. Trees and tall grass sprouted alongside the outer rim. An earthy mix of grass and dirt filled the air. And in the middle, Emma. Her eyes shone brilliantly once more, and she smiled. She was draped in a dress of all white. To Taylor, she looked like a princess.

"Is this a dream? A nightmare or some sort of trick?" She asked, still weary of her early encounter. But this felt different, it felt so real. She reached out to touch Emma, but Emma quickly backed away.

"No, my love. And I am sorry, but we don't have much time."

"What do you mean? We have all the time in the world. I never want to leave this place."

"But you must, Taylor. You can not stay here, you don't belong here. Lest you end up like the others, lost." The others? Taylor remembered Felix handing her the broken name from the wall. How many Others were there?

  "Who are they?" She asked.

"It's not important who they are exactly, it's what they are. As a part of your trials you'll be tasked with the impossible job of liberating one. It can not be done."

"But how can I do what is impossible?" Taylor asked.

"I don't know. But everyone of us deserves redemption, even them." Emma said with somber eyes.

All at once she was consumed by guilt. "I'm so sorry Emma. It's my fault you died and I couldn't save you." She no longer cared about the Trials and she sure as hell didn't care about the Others.

Emma smiled whole-heartedly. "No. You need to stop blaming yourself. I will always be with you Taylor. I'm dead, but I'm not lost." She walked to Taylor and raised a hand. She thought for a second that Emma was going to cup the side of her face, like she had done so many times to Emma. She yearned for her touch, in the same way that a mother might need for the touch of a lost child. It was in the way of that Taylor wanted for Emma to feel more real to her. But she didn't, instead she lightly brushed aside her overcoat's collar and pulled at the chain that held the ring to her chest.

"Where did you find this?" Emma asked, catching Taylor off-guard. Emma had a look in her eyes she didn't recognize. It was unmistakably Emma, she looked exactly the same. But she seemed older, wiser, determined even.

"Jordan had it hidden away. I don't know why."

"It doesn't matter. Taylor, you must keep this with you always. We can use this to communicate."