Chapter 3

After calming down, I convinced myself to take Tyson to the park. "Ty? Baby?" I knocked before walking into his room. "Yes Mommy?" he said in the softest voice. "You wanna go to the park?" I asked, smiling. "Yeah!" He jumped up to his feet, letting several Legos fall down his legs and hit the carpeted floor. "Ok, go put on some jeans and let's go," I said, giggling. I turned and closed the door, my smile fading. I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. Before I went too far, the door behind me opened where I nearly fell back. "Let's go!" Tyson said, smiling. Oliver's smile. Stop it! He's gone now. I faked a smile and held out a hand for him to grab. He tightly gripped it and started skipping at my side. We walked down the stairs where we put on our shoes and went out the door. I got my car keys out of my purse and unlocked the doors. Tyson slipped into the back while I sat behind the wheel. I took another deep breath before putting the car into ignition and backing out of the driveway.

The trip to the park was short and quiet. Tyson had found some cars lodged between the seats and started playing with those as I was lost in my own thoughts. I pulled into the parking lot and parked. Like any normal person would. Tyson opened his door and ran towards the playground where he spotted some friends. I walked behind him, hands in my pockets, looking at everything while passing. The trees, the new blooming flowers of varying colors. Children running around while their happy smiling parents were watching them with intensity and delight. With every similar thing, a spark of an old memory came back to me of my pregnancy.

I walked out of the bathroom for the third time that night to see Oliver turned to his side, softly snoring. I sighed as I landed on the plushness of our bed when I said, "Oliver, you can stop pretending to sleep. I know you're awake." His giant body turned so his blue eyes could meet mine. "I just thought you'd feel better if you thought you weren't keeping me up," he admitted. "Well, you're right. But, you're also wrong. You forget that I know you sometimes better than you know yourself. You're a light sleeper. If I even sneezed, you would be ready to put an arrow in a door," I said, scooting down the bed, laying my body down, putting my head on my hand. "I just wish we could get some sleep, but the next time that's gonna happen is the hour after I give birth. So..." I told him, exhausted.

Oliver threw the covers off his body and swung his legs off the side of the bed. He stood up and walked towards the closet to put on pants and a shirt along with his brown leather jacket. "Where are you going?" I asked, my eyes widening. "Get ready. We're going to the park," he said, slipping on his pants, one leg at a time. "At three in the morning?" I asked, sitting up as straights as I could. "Yep. Come on," he said walking towards me, putting on his jacket. He grabbed my hand and pulled lightly on it. I stood up and got dressed.

The car ride there was a blur because of how exhausted I was, but once we got there and the crisp autumn breeze hit my face, I was wide awake. I was wearing a big white, furry coat. Then again, all of my clothes were big now. Every now and then I would complain about it but afterwards, it would be worth it. Oliver held out his hand after he opened the passenger door for me. I took it and stood up next to him. He closed the door and locked the car before his hand found the small of my back. We started walking slowly down the dirt path. The only sound in the night was the slight breeze and the clicking of our shoes. His hand slid up and his arm went around my shoulders. I laid my head on his shoulder and slightly closed my eyes. After a while, Oliver broke the silence with a whispered, "You okay?" before he pressed a kiss to the top of my head. I nodded and hummed, "Hmm mm."

"Thank you," I said. Our feet stopped before he turned me to look at him. Pure confusion was plastered on his face. "For what?" he said in a low and loving voice. I looked into his warm, blue eyes. "For always being here for me. Even if it means you giving something up," I explained. He smiled and gathered me into his arms. I didn't hesitate to hug him back. "I love you," he said into the night sky. "And I would go to hell and back for you." I pulled away so I could look at him again. "I-I wouldn't joke about that, you know," I said, slightly concerned. Oliver chuckled before saying, "It's true." I smiled and said nothing. "Think you can sleep?" he asked. I took a deep breath. "Yeah. Yeah," I said, trying to convince myself. "Okay. Let's go home."