II

chapter two written in the view of villager kang haneul, a member of the rebels

Title: The beginning of our end

The cold air from the rain outside hit against the roof, creating a steady patter that filled the small house. Inside, I sat huddled with a few others, the cold creeping in from every corner.

Glancing around the room, I noticed the rainwater slowly seeping through the cracks in the walls, trailing down to the dirt floor. It was a old space, worn by time and weather.

"Thanks for letting us gather here, Serin," Miwon said softly, offering a smile.

"Anytime," Serin replied, handing us thin, frayed blankets that barely held together. "My family is all out working right now, so it's no trouble."

Serin walked to the corner of the room, setting down a bucket beneath the steady drip of water leaking in from above. She returned to sit beside us, the atmosphere heavy with unspoken plans.

"So, as we all know, we're here to discuss how to get rid of the people in the castle," Heeseung began, his voice low but determined. We formed a tight circle, our blankets wrapped around us in an attempt to stave off the cold.

Everyone nodded silently, our breaths visible in the chilly air. Heeseung continued, "And we're all clear on the plan?"

A murmur of agreement spread through the group. Miwon sighed, shaking her head slightly. "I still don't understand why we need to kill them. They live in such a beautiful castle, wear such pretty gowns..." she trailed off with a dreamy smile, but Niki cut her off with a scoff.

"Yeah, they do," Niki snapped, his voice filled with resentment. "But look at where we live. Why should they have all the riches while we struggle to survive?"

Miwon shrugged, her expression fading as the harsh reality set back in. Focus shifted again as Soohee spread out several sheets of paper on the floor for us to see.

"Tomorrow morning, we'll all apply for jobs at the castle," Heeseung explained, pointing to the papers. "Once inside, our first priority is gathering information—anything useful. Secret rooms, cash stores, anything we can use."