Origins

The king looked out across his land, which was now in utter ruin. There was no way to have expected this to happen. And now, there was no way of stopping it.

Volglacia, he called his land. Once, he thought it was the perfect name, now he was not so sure. On the country's left sat a land consumed with fire, on his right, one condemned to an icy wasteland. Volcanoes and glaciers, one day he thought to himself, or a combination of both. That is where he had first conceived the name of the land.

But perhaps it was this name that had brought destruction upon it. The experiments had all gone wrong. It wasn't ever supposed to end this way. But now it had come to an end. And the only thing he could do was protect his little girl.

Oh Evelyn, he thought. If you only knew how much I longed to be with you.

She was the very picture of her mother, Susan. His dear wife had died at a young age, for the air in the King's mansion was hazardous to her health. For fear of his daughter perishing in the same way he sent her to a neighboring country in hopes that would keep her safe.

But now, he ached for her company. He ached for those dancing green eyes and ebony curls. He ached for his little daughter. But no, it was not safe to bring her here. Especially with what happened in the lab last night.

He had taken ten prisoners from their cells, prisoners who were damned to die. He was a scientist at heart. So when the opportunity came to test out a new formula he had prepared, he just couldn't pass it up. Those prisoners are going to die anyway, he had thought. Might as well have some fun with them while they're still alive.

There were more than ten he could have chosen, but he chose these ones specifically. Male and female, of course. It was important to get a steady sampling. They were the perfect test subjects. Eve, Derek, Amy, Colin, Frederick, Lilly, Sam, Jacob, Robert, and a girl who only went by the name of Seven.

Eve was a slight girl of sixteen, who wore a T-shirt proclaiming 'Save the Earth!' She had auburn hair in a long braid down one side of her neck, and multiple tattoos of trees and flowers up and down her arms. She was arrested as a frequent protester against anything the King did that harmed the flora and fauna.

Derek was a tall boy, at least nineteen, with bronzed skin and dark hair dressed in a nice-looking tuxedo. He always has a smirk plastered across his face.

He was arrested for attempting to embezzle funds from the king's treasury.

Amy is a tall blond girl, dressed in a light blue blouse and shorts cut off at her thighs; arrested for trying to call lightning down upon the king's house with a kite.

Colin was virtually colorless. Dark black hair and clothes. Silver piercings stick out of his ears, eyebrows, lip and nose. His skin is as white as a sheet. The only splash of color on the boy was his knife-like blue eyes, watching your every move; arrested for thievery.

Fredrick had a temper. He did whatever he liked, said whatever he liked, and destroyed whatever he liked, always with a glint in his amber eyes. He was arrested for treason and destruction of property.

Lilly was a quiet, timid, petite girl, with bright blue eyes and a kind smile. She was arrested for aiding and abetting criminals.

The others are not important enough to mention, but Seven was the one that confused the King. She never complained, never argued, and never said much of anything at all. She watched him with those ocean blue eyes though. Although she had extremely long, sharp, nails... she never tried to defend herself as she was being strapped into an experimentation chair. Her raven mane hung attractively on one side of her neck.