Three

Dev's POV

My cheeks rapidly heat up and I can't help but laugh a little. Luke looks down at me, confused at why I'm laughing. "What's funny?" He asks, a smirk forming on his face. "Look up!" I respond. He looks up and immediately looks back down at my face. The biggest smile forms on his face, but he seems to be at a loss for words just like I am. After a few seconds, he grabs my hand. "I guess this means I have to kiss you." The heat that I feel on my face continues to get hotter, and my smile is gone. "Ashley would kill you and me. You know we can't. I can kiss you on the cheek if you want." I can't look him directly in the eye because I know it'll make me sad. I almost feel disappointed, like I wanted to kiss him. "Screw Ashley, it's mistletoe it doesn't mean anything." He leans down and attaches his lips to mine before I can stop him. Energy ran through my entire body, making my arms and legs tingle. My heart feels like it's going to beat out of my chest. My arms wrap around his neck, and I lean on my toes to get closer to him. The kiss lasted for a few seconds, before I detached and walked away. It was too crowded and hot so I went outside to get some fresh air. I sat on the steps, fixing my dress afterward. My head hurts from thinking too much. Why did I kiss him? Ashley is going to be so mad at me. What if they break up because of it? He said it means absolutely nothing, so maybe we just shouldn't tell her. If it meant nothing, why do I feel like this? My head is spinning with questions and thoughts. I don't want to go back in there, but I have to say goodbye to Ashley before I go home. I enter the crowded house again, searching for any signs of Ashley. I see Luke at the bottom of the stairs, surrounded by people I've never even seen before. I have no idea what to say to him, so I sneak past him and attempt running up the stairs, which is very hard in heels. I check the closest room first, being her parent's bedroom. There was no sign of anyone, so I moved onto the bathroom. It seemed to be occupied so I decided to check Ashley's room. I had to squeeze by about 10 people, but eventually reached the door. It was fully closed, so I twisted the knob and cracked the door open a little. The first thing my eye caught was Ashton laying on the bed, Ashley on top of him. A lump formed in my throat and I had to stop myself from screaming. What do I do now? I close the door before they could realize it was me, and run back down the stairs. Luke was still there, talking to someone, so I run by him too. I reach the front door and open it, already navigating my way home. I decide to take a breath before walking across the street, and Luke catches up to me. "Dev, what's wrong?" I can't even look him straight in the eye because of the events that have occurred tonight. Do I tell him I just found his girlfriend making out with his best friend? Do I tell him how I felt when our lips touched? Apparently I am silent for too long, because Luke repeats my name. I decide to tell him nothing for now, and just say "I'm just really tired. It's been a long day and there's too many people in there for me to feel comfortable. I think I should go home and check on my dad." Luke grabs my hand before I begin walking across the street, and turns me around to face him. "Dev, I have known you for years. I can tell when you're lying. Is this about that kiss?" Again, I didn't want to answer but his glare forced words out of me. "I guess a little bit. You're dating my best friend Luke and we shouldn't have done that, even if it was just for mistletoe." I begin to walk across the street and he follows me, which I was hoping he wouldn't. "Dev it was just a kiss okay? I'm sorry. I didn't mean for anyone to be hurt. Can I please go inside with you? I really don't want to stay at that party without you there." A smile appeared on my face, but he wasn't able to see it since I was turned toward my door. "You have to perform with your band soon, remember?" I opened my front door and threw my heels to the side. Luke follows me and sits on one of the stools in the kitchen. "That's in like 2 hours. And they are right across the street. I can walk there within a minute when they need me." I can't disagree with him so I just walk to the fridge and grab a water. "Do you want anything to drink?" I ask. He nods his head no and I close the fridge door. I decide to sit on the stool next to him and take a sip of water. "Did anything else happen at the party? I feel like you can't be like this over just the kiss." He was right, I probably would have gotten over the kiss eventually because it didn't mean anything to him. But Ashley and Ashton? What am I supposed to do with the image that is now burned into my memory? It feels like a secret that is already eating me alive because I want to tell Luke. "I just danced with that kid that asked me out at school today. That was it. I tried to find Ashley but I couldn't so that's when I left." I tried to put the most convincing face on so he would believe me, and I think it worked. "Why were you dancing with that guy? Do you like him now or something?" His face seemed concerned and not in the protective way it usually is. "No dad, I don't like him. I just danced with him and told him I was sorry for turning him down. I'm just not ready for dating right now. I did tell him we could be friends though and that we could hang out." My dad remark made him and I both smile for a minute, and then the room turned silent. "I just don't want you to give him the wrong idea. I mean if you told him you wanted to hang out he could think you are giving him a chance to date you." I ignored his comment and walked over to the couch. "Why does it matter? Who cares if I hang out with him or give him the chance to date me? It's my decision. And I don't think he has the wrong Idea. I was pretty clear." "Okay, just making sure." He says while sitting down next to me. "Luke, can I ask you something?" "You just did" He laughs, "but go ahead." I work up the nerve to spit out the words I want to. "Let's just say one of your best friends was cheating on their girlfriend. Would you tell her?" Luke thought about this for a moment and then turned to me. "I guess it depends on how close I am to the girl he's dating. I wouldn't want to hurt either of them so I would probably just talk to him about it and tell him he needs to stop or they need to break up." I let his words process in my brain for a minute, and then I looked at him for a while. "You're really amazing. I thought you would just say to punch your friend or something. That is something you would do." He laughed and let his dimples poke out. "Yes, I might punch him if he was hurting someone I really care about. Like, if Ashton started dating you for example. If he cheated on you, I would beat his ass because I care about you and that would be the biggest mistake of his life." My stomach turned at the mentioning of Ashton. "Why did you use him as an example?" I asked curiously. "He's my best friend so I was trying to use someone close to me as a real example. And besides, everyone knows he has been crushing on you for a while now." I remember that Ash mentioned that earlier, but after what I saw, the thought didn't occur to me again. "I don't think Ashton really likes me anymore. And it wouldn't matter anyway because I don't see him like that. He's like an older brother to me." Luke turned on Netflix again, since we have a while until we have to return to the party. He was scrolling for a while so I sat quietly next to him, laying my head on his shoulder lightly. "What am I to you?" His rough voice startles me, so I sit up and look at him. "My best friend's boyfriend" I whisper.

---

(This chapter was not edited I am sorry!!) GUYSS GUESS WHO'S BACK!! I know it has been forever, like a year forever and I am sorry. Life gets in the way and I had to drop writing because It wasn't a priority. I checked my Wattpad today and realized that this story has a lot of potential. I used to love writing chapters for this story and I really want to start again. I can't promise that I will be updating a lot, but I promise that I still love you guys and writing and I will try my best to start up again. Make sure to tell your friends about my stories!!