Side Chapter - Swing

Author’s Note: This is a side chapter. It’s not completely relevant to the main story, but I felt that it would be interesting to add this short chapter. It takes place shortly after the events of Chapter 6, but before the events of Chapter 7.

      “Do you wanna go to the park?” Ren asked curiously. “I haven’t been to one around here.”

     Rina looked up at him, tilting her head in confusion.

     “You really wanna go to the park now?” she asked.

     “Yeah, it’ll be fun,” he replied. “Choose one that you like and we’ll go there.”

     Rina had been to many of the popular parks in the neighborhood. There were so many to choose from, but she wasn’t sure which to pick. There was a park just a mile away, but she wasn’t too fond of it. There was another park that she visited frequently, but it was closed for maintenance. Another park was nearby, but it was so big that Rina didn’t feel safe going there while it was dark. Finally, she chose the park that she had visited the previous year with her friends.

     They took a bus and a train to a station a few blocks from the park. Rina led the way, though she was a little wary since she wasn’t completely familiar with the area. Eventually, they found their way to the park. There was a baseball field, handball courts, basketball courts, and a playground with a large jungle gym and two sets of swings.

     “This place is nice,” Ren said, looking around.

     “Yeah, the area is… wait a second.”

     Rina looked around. Finally, she realized where they were.

     “She lives around here,” she said in regret. “Darcy.”

     “The girl from your story?” Ren asked.

     “Yeah,” she replied. “Ugh, I’m so stupid. Why did I pick this place?”

     “If you see her, tell me,” Ren said. “We can make her jealous.

     Rina smiled and led Ren into the playground. It was almost empty with only a small group of underclassmen hanging around the jungle gym. Rina sat down on a swing, stretching her legs in front of her to touch the rubber padding on the ground with her heels. Ren walked behind her, grabbed the swing by its chains, and pulled it back.

     “Ready?” he asked.

     “Yup,” Rina replied, bracing herself.

     After pulling the swing back a little more, Ren pushed the seat, sending Rina forward. She swung back, laughing cheerfully. Ren pushed her again with a little more force. Rina flew higher and laughed harder. A few pushes later, she asked him to stop. She was afraid of swinging too high and falling from her seat.

     “You won’t fall, I promise you!” Ren laughed.

     “I really can’t! I’m afraid!” Rina shouted, shutting her eyes. “It’s been like this for as long as I could remember! My chest just tightens if I’m too high up. I can’t help it!”

     Ren caught one of the chains as Rina slowed down. Grazing the ground with her shoes, she stopped her swinging. She hopped off the seat and stood next to Ren.

     “Shall I push you now?” she asked.

     “I’m too heavy,” Ren replied. “I’m forty pounds too heavy for you.”

     Rina frowned and wrapped her arms around his arm.

     “Aren’t you cold? It’s such a cold night tonight,” she said. “You aren’t wearing any gloves.”

     “You’re not wearing gloves, either,” Ren replied. “Here.”

     He took Rina’s hand and held it in his. She began to blush. His hand was so soft and warm. It felt nice around her cold, frozen hand.

     “You’re a demon ninety percent of the time, but there are times when you really make me…”

     Rina froze, stopping herself mid-sentence.

     “I make you what?” Ren asked.

     She was unsure whether or not she should confess her feelings. Would he reject her? Would he not think anything of it? Would he run away and leave her stranded?

     “Times like these, you make me hate you less,” she said, fidgeting. “I want to wash my hand. One of the chains felt a little dirty.”

     She pulled herself away from Ren and dashed towards the restroom. Ren sighed and sat down on the swing seat.

     “Which hand was the dirty one?” he asked himself.