Chapter Eleven

Ronan's Point Of View

This was going to be hard. I had to watch Maggie now, but I also had to keep myself alive, or just comfortable, really. What use could I serve, if I couldn't move? No purpose at all. I had left her in the living room for some sort of side room off the hall, where there was a couch and a few chairs.

There was really no point to it being here, because as I knew it, Maggie never had any guests. It was there for show. I walked over to the couch, gently settling into the puffed seats. I wondered if Maggie ever got lonely. The light in the house seemed arm enough to keep someone happy, the sun filtering through the windows with a golden tinge.

I looked around, seeing the beige walls and boringness of the place. This was no way for anyone to live. Even if the light was happy, the person underneath the rays was surely not. Poor Maggie; hiding under a veil of chilling happiness. 

I wondered if her parents ever called. I wondered if Cameron had ever actually loved her. I wondered if I had done anything to help her. 

"Ronan," Maggie's voice sounded from the other room. I got up, my skin feeling tight and prickly. I turned the corner, pursing my lips in a faint smile, looking at the girl. She looked so pathetic, wrapped in her bandages and little flecks of blood on her face.

"I'm here," I said. "What do you need?" Maggie shrugged, patting the section of couch next to her. I didn't want to sit down. That would require me to stretch my skin. Snap, crackle, pop, that would not be good. I just shook my head and stood. 

Maggie lilted her head to the side, and then fixed it, looking me right in the eyes. It was like a death stare, burning through my soul. I started to squint, trying to keep my gaze with her, but obviously failing. It was so hard not to just look away. 

"You are such a funny person," the girl said. 

"How so?" I asked, finally realizing that Maggie had ripped her soul-eating-eyes from my face. 

"You're awkward," she replied to me with a giggle. "Awkward with people." 

"That would make sense," I said, shrugging it off. "I'm a selkie. I don't really have that much experience being around humans. I have pretty much no idea how they act." Maggie laughed, which was a welcome sound. It was light and bubbly and happy, like the sound of a young child laughing. 

I couldn't help but smile.

My cheeks tightened to an uncomfortable stretch. The prickly feeling sizzled over my face and I winced, trying to forget about it. "Can I take a shower?" I poked the question at Maggie. The girl shrugged and nodded her head, then winced, and flopped back on the couch. She smiled once before I left the room.

***

I don't know what it is about showers, but you can most certainly think of the most amazing things in there. All of my great ideas that have come to me have come in the two showers I've ever had. Maybe I needed to take more from now on. 

I let the cold water run over my hair, taking away the dirt and the smell o f the sea. The pipes squeaked, and I reached to the knob, shutting off the water. I felt stronger after this, after this day. 

I mean, this day had totally pushed my limits and I came out on top of everything. There was nothing that could possibly stop me today; that was how great I felt. There was a knock on the door, always Maggie telling me to hurry up. I squeaked it open, looking down on Maggie.

Her head, wrapped with bandages, look positively pathetic. I chuckled a bit, and the girl laughed and swatted a hand at my stomach. "Hey!" I said, sucking back into the bathroom, one hand on the doorframe. "This day is going to be a good one. I can feel it."