Chapter 2 - Damn my sharp tongue

Ashton POV

I am doodling in my book when I feel someone approaching my desk, I hadn't been paying much attention while students were sitting down but not many people ever approach me and when the person stops by my desk I reluctantly look up and into the face of Noel, one of Cade's best friends. He looks down at me.

'Hey, haven't I seen you somewhere before?'

'Yeah, that's why I don't go there any more.' I reply quickly and the corner of his mouth twitches slightly as he raises one eyebrow. Shit, what is it with me and my big mouth.

'I was the girl in the hallway this morning.' He nods his head and sits down at the desk beside me.

'Oh, the one that scolded Cade and that other guy.'

'That would be me.' I say awkwardly and he looks at me.

'Took guts to do that.' I shrug and glance at him before resuming my doodling.

'Yeah well after I got hit in said guts, I was pissed.'

'How is your stomach by the way.'

'Fine, I've had worse.' There is a silence after I say that and I look up to find Noel staring at me, hard.

'Keep staring and I'm going to think you're into me.' I mutter and Noel smiles, shaking his head.

'Damn girl, you'll cut yourself on that sharp tongue of yours one day.'

'So I've been told.' Referring to Kallie's habit of telling me that I'm too sarcastic, normally I'm only like that with people I know but hey. I look to the rest of the class, wondering where the teacher is when I see some people shooting me weird, slightly scared looks. I shift in my seat and Noel looks at me.

'You okay?'

'Yeah, why are people looking at me like I'm crazy?' Noel looks at the class and scowls fiercely causing people to turn back to the front.

'Cos you're talking to me. I have a reputation and I don't tend to talk to other people.'

'Why are you talking to me then?' I ask curiously and he cocks his head.

'You're different.'

'Lucky me.' I remark drily and he chuckles, shaking his head and I realise he is a lot more laid back than people make him out to me. The teacher finally comes in and Noel and I don't speak for the rest of the lesson. When we finish and are packing up our bags he looks at me.

'What have you got next?' I look up at him.

'Look, we had a nice talk, but we aren't friends.' He holds up his hand.

'Just asking.'

'Yeah, probably so you can go back to Cade and tell him what lesson I have so he can get back at me for this morning.' I know I'm being bipolar and acting a bit harsh but I was thinking during the lesson that I was being way to nice and open to the guy baring in mind I don't know him and trust isn't exactly a strong point for me.

'What the hell is wrong? You on your period or something?' Noel asks, slightly pissed off and I glare at him.

'Yes, I started my day by lying in a pool of my own blood, is that how you'd like me to finish yours.' I stare him down, and he stares at me, slightly taken aback, but I don't give him a chance to respond before I push past him and to my next class.

The rest of the morning passes without any excitement and I am heading to lunch when I pass the jock from this morning. He is putting something away in his locker but glances up when he hears my footsteps. As he sees me his face morphs into a glare. Guess he is pissed after I was rude to him. A group of people suddenly come around the corner and I use their distraction to hurry away. Something about his look made me nervous and unwilling to be alone around him. I buy my food and glance around the cafeteria until I spot Kallie sitting at our usual table. I head over and sit down beside her as she nods her head in greeting, her mouth full of a sandwich. We are chatting about random things, eating lunch when the sound of approaching high heels fills my ears. I glance at Kallie and then we look up in unison as Brittany comes to a stop at our table.

'Hi.' She says brightly and Kallie and I slowly respond with a questioning hey.

'I wanted to talk to you, Ashton right?' She looks right at me and I nod slowly before she pointedly looks at Kallie and then back at me.

'Um, anything you want to say to me, you can say in front of her.' Brittany shrugs.

'Okay. Look, I heard you were talking to Cade this morning, one of my friends told me, and I just want to say, he would never be interested in you and you need to stay away from him, he's mine.' I stare at her blankly and with a hint of disgust as Kallie scoffs next to me. I look from Brittany to Kallie and then across the room to where I know Cade always sits with his friends, only to find him already looking at me. His eyes cut across the room and flick from me to Brittany and back again. I focus back on the blonde in front of me and nod my head slight.

'Yeah, okay. The thing is. I said one thing to him, and it was more of an insult than a pick up line, so I don't know what your friend told you. I'm not even remotely interested in Cade and honey, he isn't yours, he isn't anyones. He will sleep with anyone with a pulse and skirt so if you think your the one for him then you are very wrong. He doesn't care about you, he doesn't care about anyone and you're a fool if you think any different.' I keep my voice even and Brittany gapes at me before she scowls.

'Bitch. He IS mine. Just stay away.' I hold up my hands trying to hide my smile at how naive she is, honestly thinking the bad boy player cares even remotely about her. She glares one last time before turning on her heel and walking away but just as she does I call her name. She looks back at me and I smile sweetly.

'Threaten me again and I'll break you face, then he definitely won't sleep with you.' Brittany shoots me a dark look but says nothing as she walks away.