Chapter 2

The drive to Michigan was long, but scenic, quite beautiful really, and we arrived at her Uncle's cabin by the following afternoon.

From what Diane, a bit of an unbearable gossip, had told me, her Uncle was quite the player--currently on wife number five. She was young, my friend explained, in her mid twenties, at least fifteen years younger than Uncle Rick.

Their whirlwind wedding had been the talk of the small town, as Rick's wife seemed to keep getting younger and younger.

So when we finally got there and Diane's mother dropped us off, I expected to be somewhat uncomfortable, but instead, Uncle Rick turned out to be very charming.

He took it upon himself to carry our bags into the house, looking me down as if to say "You didn't say your friend was this pretty, Diane." I was flattered. At fifteen, older men didn't usually give me much attention.

His sister give him a quick peck on the cheek before retreating to the Redding family station wagon. We watched as Diane's mom backed down the drive, Diane waving as she drove out of sight.

Uncle Rick's new wife met us at the doorway, introducing herself as Amy. She seemed sweet, though a bit timid. "Amy, remember what we discussed?" Rick told her in a low tone.

"Right, of course dear," she gave him a quick kiss. "I'll show you girls to your room."

Our room turned out to be the third floor loft, complete with two twin beds, spread with white beds and handmade looking red quilts, a nightstand and lamp between them, and closet for us to share. There was a small picture window behind the beds that looked out on the lake. Lake Michigan, Diane had explained earlier.

"Dinner is at 7, girls," Amy called over her shoulder in a cheery yet cautioning tone, in such a way that meant we probably shouldn't be late.

"It's almost 3:30 now, so that gives us plenty of time to explore," Diane beamed. We both changed into our new bikinis, jean shorts, and festive, loose fitting crop-tops.

Slipping on the flip-flops we'd left by the banister, Diane and I walked out the back down, calling back through the screen that we were heading out. "Be back by dinner," Diane yelled.

There was a small dock attached to the desk at the back of the house, with two bright red adirondeck chairs perch at the end. Exchanging a grin, Diane and I quickly shed our clothes and raced each other to the end of the dock, plunging into the sun-warmed water.

"Uh,"I sighed, "this feels amazing.

Diane smiled in reply. "You can say that again. Hey, I'll race you to the buoy!" And with that we were off, pulling from skills gained after many years on the swim team. We were a couple of fish.

Breathless, we flopped against the towering white bobber, each clutching one of it's handles.

By the time we got back to the cabin, we were nearly dry from taking a long walk around the lake, and it was nearly 7.

"Where have you been?" Amy whispered as we walk back through the door.

"I wanted to show Cathy around before dinner. Didn't you hear me say we were going out?" Diane seemed puzzle by her new step-aunt's spaciness.

Amy shook her head, simply saying "No, I didn't."

"Oh sorry."

Amy smiled. "Well your here now, why don't you two help me with the food?" She gestured to heaping bowls of salad, corn-on-the-cobb, and seafood broil.

Just then, Uncle Rick appeared in the kitchen doorway. "Amy, honey, these are our guests. They shouldn't have to help with the food. That's your job," he reminded her sternly.

Amy nodded submissively and continued to work on the small feast. "I was just going to head into town for some ice cream. I could use a hand, if you girls want to come." We both nodded. "Alright then, come on." The three of us climbed into Rick's car, me in the passenger seat and Diane in the middle.

When we got to town, Diane's Uncle park in front of the ice cream parlor and cut the engine. "Dina, the woman who owns this place, said she'd have my order waiting." We nodded and followed him into the store, a little bell ringing to announce our entrance.

"Rick," the woman behind the counter greeted warmly.

"Hi Dina, how are you?"

"Good as always. How 'bout yourself?"

"Fine thanks."

"And who are these lovely ladies?"

"My niece Diane and her friend Cathy. They're staying with Amy and I through The Fourth."

Dina nodded and brought out three gallons of ice cream: chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla. "Well, here you are," she said brightly, slipping the tubs into a bag.

"Thanks, Dina."

After we left the parlor, Rick decided to see if his order was in at the general store. "I'll only be a minute, so you girls can just wait here."

When he returned, he was carrying a big box of what looked to be supplies for some sort of project. Rope and two-by-fours, and even a padlock and some screws. "I was thinking about making a dog kennel in a the old root cellar underneath the cabin," he told us in way of an explaination.

"Oh, I didn't know you had a dog," Diane exclaimed cheerfully. She loved dogs and probably missed hers, a little bulldog named Rocky who had had to stay home.

"I don't, but I think I've decided to get one, what, with the new baby on the way." Neither of us had even known Amy was pregnant. "I suppose your mom didn't tell you about that," he said when he saw the surprise on Diane's face. "Yep, Amy's due in October."

. . .

After dinner, Amy went to wash all the dishes and Rick decided to get to work on his new project. We could hear him hammering and sawing away all the way up in our room as we got ready for bed.

That night, we talked for hours before we finally fell asleep, lulled by the gentle sound of the wind in the trees.