Chapter 4

It took Diane almost an hour to get ready. The make-up, I get it, could take a while, but after the ninth outfit, I was really getting peeves.

"Oh come on, Cathy, you know how many boys will be there. I need to look perfect." She looked perfect in the other eight, I didn't say. "Alright," she said pinching her cheeks. "Done."

By then, Amy and I were both done, finishing up the dishes.

Diane was dressed in acid-washed, denim shorts and a flowy green top, cut a little lower than I'd ever wear.

Amy and I were a bit more conservative, her in a pretty linen pleasant blouse and a long, gypsy-like skirt, and me in a bedazzled t-shirt and jean capries.

The three of us walked out the back door together, hoping Rick wouldn't change his mind last minute.

From the flyers I'd seen in town, the bonfire was being held on the north shore, opposite us, but I could already see it starting across the lake.

"That way," I exclaimed. We were already late, thanks to Diane, but I wasn't going to let her ruin this party for me.

"I wonder if they have food?" Diane said thoughtfully.

"Honestly, Diane, we just ate." I groaned. Amy giggled.

"So, I didn't eat much," she looked defensive. "Bet it'll be mostly hotdogs and marshmallows. And anyway, you worry too much. You'll still be plenty skinny."

Amy laughed nervously as we kept walking. She always seemed so on edge, so maybe this party would help her loosen up a little.

"Hey Diane!" A tan boy called from around the fire.

"Hey Charlie," Diane grinned and ran off to see her friend, leaving me with Amy.

"Um, I'll go find us some seats," I told her, walking off in search of spots on some nearby blankets. So far, this party seemed pretty boring. Everyone was sort of doing their own thing and, aside from Amy and Diane, I knew nobody.

But I was quickly brought out of my daze. "Hey, I haven't seen you here before. Are you new to town?" It was a boy--brown hair, green eyes--about my age, but tall.

"Well sort of, I'm staying with the Reddings for a while."

"What's your name?"

"Cathy," I replied sort of shyly.

He stuck out his hand. "Thomas, but most people call me TJ." TJ smiled, and I smiled back. I didn't really have much practice talking to boys back at home. What was I suppose to say?

But he beat me to it. "Want a s'more?" I nodded. "Well ok then. Let's go make some." And with that, he dragged me over to the very middle of the huge, reathing crowd of people.

Someone had set up the food table a bit like a cafeteria lunch line. On the first half were hotdogs, buns, and tons of toppings. Next to that, were baskets full of graham crackers, Hershey bars, and big, jet puff marshmallows.

I had only had s'mores a couple of times before, so I tried to follow what everyone else was doing. Plate, craker, chocolate, and other cracker on the side, while TJ set off to tell me the exact right technique for roasting the marshmallow to a perfect golden brown.

"See, you just need to turn the stick slowly so each side gets cooked evenly," he explained, and began to rotate the stick ever so slowly in the same way that a grocery store rotisserie turns a chicken, both of which resulting in a beautiful, even golden brown.

"And...done!" TJ exclaimed, holding up the marshmallow for me to inspect. "You have this one, 'cause I can always make another." I smiled appreciatively, wedging the gooey golden cylinder between my chocolate and crackers. I sighed pleasurably as I took a bite. Yum!

It was truely an amazing night.