fifty-three - the colour of my soul

SONGS FOR THE CHAPTER

waste the night - 5 seconds of summer

nearly witches (ever since we met) - panic! at the disco

heaven - troye sivan ft. betty who

-

"i'm so glad that you came back here son, with her." michael's father made a gesture to the room upstairs, where arabella was packing. they'd been with his father for a couple of days now, and michael was actually beginning to feel reluctant about leaving the next morning.

"sad to be leaving." michael revealed.

"can i tell you my biggest fear?" daryl said suddenly.

"what are you talking about?"

"my biggest fear was you turning into me. becoming some asshole who had a whole bunch of shit but not a single person there to share it with, a crazy ex-wife you came to hate -now i know she's your mother, but still- and being a sixty year old man with more regrets than accomplishments."

"dad--"

"but looking at you now, with bella, i can see that isn't who you'll become. for one, she is nothing like your mother, and you love her, you really do, i see that. and you're good to her and she's good to you. i don't know how, but you turned out okay, more than okay, great. maybe your mother raised you right, maybe i influenced you a little, maybe you became who you are by yourself, hell, and maybe it was the girl. whatever it was, you turned out great. and i love you son, i haven't told you enough, but i love you."

"i love you too dad, and that means a lot to hear you say that stuff." michael admitted.

all his life, he had had the same fear of turning into his father, or even his mother, but he knew now that he would never be that person. he was his own person, arabella had helped him see that, and he'd never let her go because of that. without her he wouldn't be who he was, and because of her he was starting to love who he was.

"you should head up to bed, help your girlfriend pack, i know that you have an early flight in the morning." his dad sighed.

"yeah," michael smiled, "and thanks dad. for this trip, for everything."

daryl gave his son a pat on the back, and sent him up the stairs with a goodnight and another 'i love you'.

michael knocked on the bedroom door in which he and arabella were staying, careful not to wake her lest she be sleeping.

"hey dweebles, ya up?" michael said as he poked his head around the door. he heard a light crash from inside the room.

"yeah, you can come in." she groaned.

he opened up the door all the way to see her lying on the floor, suitcase beside her, with all of their clothes lying around and on top of her. from what he could gather, she seemed to have given up on everything.

"i'm too tired for this shit," she grumbled as she slowly got up off the floor, an array of black material sliding off of her. she was wearing one of michael's old shirts and her hair was tied up in a bun atop her head and she looked more done with life than michael had ever seen her look. and that was saying a lot, because that was her general outlook on life.

"i'll help you out in the morning, we should probably just go to sleep right now, it's pretty late." michael said, guiding her towards the bed. she sighed and lay down on the bed, crawling under the covers.

"thank you, i love you."

michael chuckled, "i know."

"nerd."

michael took his clothes off, and lay down beside her, kissing the side of her head gently. the room was cool, the windows were open, letting in a fresh breeze. he could see the faint shimmer of the moon through the curtains and he could see the faint shimmer of the stars in arabella's eyes.

"thank you for bringing me to see your parents. i know how much this all means to you." she whispered, after what felt like an eternity of silence.

"you're welcome."

"thanks for everything, actually. for sticking around, for loving me. for giving me a terrible nickname that i've grown to love. for putting up with a cupboard filled with black clothes that prevent you from eating powdered donuts when you're around me."

michael laughed, "can i ask you a question?"

"i mean, after all this time, i would hope so..."

he rolled his eyes, "why do you like the colour black so much?"

"because it's the colour of your hair." she smirked.

"seriously? tell me, really."

arabella took a deep breath, "well, i think it's just because it's so pure. i know a lot of people think that white is a pure colour, but it can be so easily tainted. black is dark and strong, and it is warm and comforting. it encompasses all other colours, and it's powerful."

"wow, that's uh, deep."

"also, i don't know if you've noticed, but it's the colour of my soul," arabella nuzzled herself into michael's chest, "i guess it complements yours."

-
-

this is short and shitty and i am very aware that it's been almost a year since i've updated but it's almost finished so bear w me pls