IV. The Wrath of Loki

The land was ravaged, stripped of all beauty and serenity. Kronos rules again. Among the gods and titans he rules with are Hyperion, Prometheus, Neptune, Aphrodite, Ares, and Loki. Loki, the Norse god of trickery, had a request to make of Kronos.

“Lord Kronos, allow me to gather my people and search out Odin and his followers. I shall kill all but the god himself, for he will be brought before you. Then, begging for mercy, he will die.”

“I like the sound of that. The warrior king begging for mercy like a dog at my feet. Go ahead Loki, gather your armies and bring the Norse people to their knees.”

Loki left the council chamber; however, Hyperion had more to say.

“I don’t know if we can trust Loki. He is known for his trickery and he might betray us like he did his kin.”

“If it would make you feel better, I can follow him.” Neptune suggested.

“No, Neptune, you will not. We must have trust in Loki. After all, he has been waiting for the day he can kill the king of the Norse and rule them himself. Besides, Odin’s usefulness has run its course.”

Kronos adjourned the council; Neptune and Ares returned to Ares' hall in the city of New Sparta.

"Kronos has been blinded by Loki's proposal. I am positive that Loki will betray us. After all, it was Odin himself that smashed Thor's hammer before Artemis came to ask for their allegiance."

"I agree with you Lord Ares, but what do you suggest we do about? If either of us go after him, we will be directly breaking one of Lord Kronos's commands. That is a crime punishable by death, as your wife suggested when we rebuilt your great city (though called New Sparta, it was actually built on the ruins of Argos, one of Sparta's old allies)."

"I can send my son, Phobos. he is great warrior and an expert tracker. He gains his power from the fears of his enemies."

Neptune nodded in approval and left for his hall by the sea. Ares spoke to his son, who was honored with taking on the task.

“Good luck my son. You have been trained well.”

“Thank you father, I will return with both Odin and Loki in my custody.”

Phobos said his final farewell to his father and set off after Loki. Phobos left with 300 men and sailed up to the Norselands.

Setting sail after Odin was not Loki’s first objective; he needed to visit his son. As he strode through the ruins of Asgard, Loki heard the his son struggling to losen his bonds.

“Fenrir, I have a proposition for you. It involves the removal of your bonds.”

“I am listening, father.”

“If you pledge your life and soul to me and me alone, I will both free you from your bonds and give you’re the glory of killing the so-called great god Odin.”

“And if, once I kill Odin, I go back on my word, what will happen to me?”

“You will pay a visit to your dear sister Hela; she will, take care of you.”

“Understood, now get these bonds untied. I have a god to kill.”

Loki untied the small string binding the Fenris Wolf and prepared to unleash him on the Norse King.

Kastor was speaking with Brokk at the site of the Norse hideout.

“How long will we have to wait here Kastor?”

“Not long I hope. We need to get under way; the tropics are supposedly a lot further south. Oh, one more thing, don’t let your guard down. Kronos might send some men out to eliminate us so be ready at all times.”