Chapter Thirty-Four

"What the heck are you doing!?" I yelled as soon as my mouth was free from Keon's lips. Suddenly, I felt very dizzy, and I placed a hand on my locker to steady myself. Immediately I blushed. From his soft lips to the way he held my face between his strong hands, my body was buzzing from the contact. I hadn't kissed Josh in days, which in reality wasn't that long, but I hadn't realized how much the lack of affection was effecting me. Keon stood there looking just as shocked as I was, as if he didn't orchestrate the kiss but instead someone had possessed him to do so. Knowing Keon, demon possession seemed far more likely than masculine confidence. 

Much to my shock, though, instead of yelling angrily at him like I wanted to, I began to cry instead. At this, Keon's face crumpled and he took a step toward me.

"Adira, I didn't want you to--"

"No!" I yelled, making some of the other teen's in the hallway turn to face us. Keon backed up at this, his eyes scanning the onlookers anxiously. Usually I would feel bad putting him in this situation-- people staring at us, whispers flinging down the halls, little snickers-- but instead I just felt numb. It wasn't fair that he put me in this situation, so he deserved some kind of punishment.

"Okay. Look I didn't want to--"

"No Keon," I said again, this time softer "I thought we were friends." My voice hitched at the end of "friends" making me sound weak and pathetic. Shame reached from the crown of my head to my toes. This wasn't fun and games anymore. I was pregnant with Josh's child, and no matter how screwed up this situation was, my marriage to him still meant something, even if it was just for the sake of my unborn baby. Keon had no right to touch me like that-- I was a person, not a thing to fall in love or lust with. My whole body felt dirty, especially that little part of my mind telling me I deserved it for feeling attraction to him. And more than that, even if I did want it, I was still married-- Keon knew that!

"Adira, we are friends. But I wish... I know your married but I felt we had more. I-I didn't know how to say it. I'm so sorry," he said. My heart started to pound and I noticed the sweat on Keon's brow, as well as his shaking hands. The bell rang, making me jump, and the gathered crowd broke up, teen's heading hurriedly for their classes. I knew someone would notice I was late sooner or later, so I didn't have much more time to talk to Keon, but at the same time I didn't know if I wanted to talk to Keon right now. Part of me felt violated, another part felt angry, another part was sad, and worse of all, a tiny little glimmer of gold resided in my heart, not my mind, making me feel warm like on a summer day. It wasn't necessarily happiness-- the kind you choose to feel and can identify-- but rather a feeling that was good yet still forced onto me, like a nice summer breeze that I had no choice but to experience. But still, Keon did not need to know about that.

"It's fine. Just leave me alone," I said darkly. Stepping foreword, my hair graced Keon's face as I slammed my locker door shut. He didn't even flinch at the sound. He was frozen into place.

A/N-- Sorry for such a short update. So I have some news. For the next two weeks I will be taking a hiatus. First, I am assistant director to a film and I am living on set, so I can't update. After that, I am taking a plane to Texas for a super fun vacation. Probably during my time in Texas I will update while poolside, but I can't promise anything. I love you all so much, I'm glad you're enjoying my story. See you after my hiatus!