1 - It's Just a Theory

Summary: Matt wonders if it's possible to get ahold of his long-forgotten past.

Rating: K (I think most of these will be rated K. The only time they'll be rated T is for SLIGHT swearing and violence XD)

---

Most Warlocks were known to be the nerds of the Guardians. It was like they never rested; when they weren't running about the planets shooting up their enemies, they were always huddled together in some place or other exchanging knowledge, research, and strategies. They were the tactical minds, the brains that completed the brawn - and out of all of them, Matthew was practically the epitome of their class.

Matt was a powerful Guardian, both physically and intellectually, and it was clear to all who even barely knew him. Ever since he was resurrected, he'd always been extremely fascinated by the wonders that the Golden Age had to offer. Nobody really blamed him; if you were dead for over 700 years and woke up to discover you'd missed out on the most drastic technological advancement in history, you'd be wanting to get your hands on as much information as you could, too, right?

When Matt wasn't out on the field, he was working with the Vanguard, giving them information on enemy movements and consulting high-ranked individuals like Ikora Rey, the Warlock Vanguard, and the Speaker for information and advice. The people he worked with the most, however, were the Cryptarchs, archaeologist-historians who seemed to hold all the answers to history that most others did not. Matt learned something new about the Golden Age every day - and every day, he craved for more information.

Tonight, however, he wasn't doing any of those things. Instead, he was locked away in his room, pacing about the floor and almost wading through the mess of discarded weapon parts and loose papers he'd never bothered to clean up. Something was on his mind, and whatever it was, it was bothering him to the point where it was distracting him from doing other things.

The Warlock's Ghost, Skip, always hated when Matt did this. His Guardian would ignore him for sometimes hours on end, despite his efforts to get his attention. Matt seemed to be in his own little world when he was in this state; eyes distant, focusing on something Skip didn't even want to guess was about, lips moving ever so slightly to let out quiet, broken mumbles, Matt's thoughts seeping through his vocal cords.

The Ghost watched boredly as his Guardian strolled back and forth across his living quarters, his icy green eye lens blinking slowly as his frame tilted forward every now and then. It was sort of like he was nodding off; watching the Warlock take a few steps forward, mumble to himself with a furrowed brow, then turn back around, rinse and repeat caused the AI to grow more and more uninterested by the moment.

After about an hour and a half of pacing and mumbling, Skip had decided he'd finally had enough. "Traveler's sake, Matthew," he suddenly blurted out, materializing in front of the Sunsinger. Annoyed blips and chirps emitted from the small AI as he slowly floated backward, matching the absent-minded pace of his human companion. "What is it this time?"

It took Matt a moment to snap out of his thoughts, the cloudy shroud over his occupied eyes lifting as he blinked a couple times at his Ghost. His brown orbs darted back and forth across the small robot floating before him, senses gently pulling him back into reality.

"Hm? Oh, I'm sorry, Skip," he finally spoke, talking as though he hadn't been pacing the floor like a borderline-madman for the past ninety minutes, "Did you need something?

"As a matter of fact, I do," Skip replied, his unamused tone more evident this time, "You've been walking around the room for an eternity and a half; care to share what's on your mind?"

A small silence hung around the Guardian and his Ghost. Matthew's eyes stayed fixed on his robotic companion, the same distant look clouding his eyes for only a short moment. After a short hesitation, the Warlock eventually answered Skip's question.