Chapter Twenty-Six: The Ultimate Betrayal

Hey guys! Here is the chapter! I know I haven't posted in a while but I know exactly where this story is going and I am very excited for you guys to read it! Enjoy!

I awoke slowly the next morning. The room was lit by soft sunlight coming from the window. I scrunched my nose and opened my eyes. They met a nose, then a mouth. A body was connected to the beautiful face that slept quietly beside me.

I watched in silence as his chest rose and fell. He was so vulnerable as his mouth hung slightly open with each breath. The scars twitched every so often but other than that he was calm. After what seemed like forever, I gently traced his nose, dropping my fingers to his lips. His breathing changed and he seized my hand. His eyes flipped open and it took him a moment to realize I wasn't about to kill him.

"Good morning." I said quietly. He furrowed his brow and then turned to me. His face immediately softened and he loosened his grip on my hand.

"Morning." he said softly, brushing my hair from my face. "How'd you sleep?" I asked as he studied my hand. "Fine." he responded. "I'm sorry I scared you." He shook his head. "I'm not used to such a soft alarm." he said, gently tapping my nose.

I was just about to respond when a knock sounded.

"Hey, we need to talk."

Panic surged through me as I tried to locate my clothes. Jack looked at me and tried to conceal a smile as he pointed to the lamp next to the bed. My bra hung quietly from it. I pushed him playfully as I retrieved it, and then grabbed my shirt from the dresser.

Downstairs, Harley popped her bubble gum and propped her boots right up on the table.

"We eat on that you know." I snapped, leaning against the counter. She raised her eyebrows and then flattened her foot on the tabletop. I glared at Jack who dropped his eyes quickly.

"What do you need to talk about?" he asked, standing up straighter. "Gotham can't wait anymore." Silence swept over the room.

"We need you now. the Batman has absolute power now that the only swigging dick that can challenge him is gone." Jack rubbed the back of his neck.

"Harley I can't just go. The girls aren't safe there."

"Oh, did I not make myself clear. They aren't coming."

"Excuse me?" I snapped, standing up and moving towards her.

"Sorry honey, Jack has no place in his life for you and that brat." I raised my hand and slapped her clean across the face.

Jack jumped up and came to my side as Harley stood up. Her eyes burned as Jack pushed me behind him.

"No! If she wants to fight we'll fight!" I screamed pushing him away. Her hands were fists at her side, her stance ready.

"Marie? What's going on?" We both jumped and looked to see Estelle standing in the doorway. Jack looked at her and then to me.

"Jack tell her. Tell her that you aren't leaving us." My stomach lurched with his silence. I had never seen him this...submissive.

"I-I'm sorry Marie. I have to go." Harley's mouth curved into a devious smile.

"What?" Estelle asked, her voice breaking. "No, you can't." she said, running to him.

"Estelle stop!" he said harshly. She stopped just inches from him and immediately attacked my legs.

"I'm sorry. Gotham needs me." And with that, he was gone.

Guys? *hides behind laptop screen* Friends? No? Okay then... Comment, Vote and Follow darlings!