CHAPTER FIVE

She sat upright with a start. Her heart was beating fast in her chest and sweat was pouring down her brow like tears. She panted and held back shivers that wanted to rack through her body. She didn't know when she closed her eyes but she somehow she had ended up asleep and this was what happened. Nightmares. No, they weren't dreams but memories.

It had been too long since she had slept, perhaps three days, and she had been completely exhausted. Her best guess was she slept for 5 hours by the aches in her muscles and the tension in her bones.

"You know it's not nice to sneak up on someone, Alpha Drew." She said to him. She had smelled him moments before entering the hallway, his footsteps causing her to wake up. He came closer to her cell. She laid back down on her back with her hands under her head and stared at the cracks in the ceiling. How many were up there? She wondered.

"I didn't want to wake you." His deep now familiar voice calmed her down. He said nothing about her nightmares and for that she was grateful.

"Well I'm awake now" She said to the ceiling. She decided that the cracks reminded her of her soul. There were many of them, but somehow they still stuck together and held against the pressure of the building. Yes, she was a lot like those cracks. "I know you must have a lot of questions. But I won't make any promises about answering them."

He chuckled under his breath. "I'm just making sure you're alright." At her quick look his way he continued "I don't get much in the way of prisoners and" he scratched his chin "Well I don't like having someone suffer under my roof. But make no mistake, Miss Lilith, if you are here to harm my pack, I will not be as kind."

"I would be offended if you didn't." She resumed her gaze back to the cracks with her left hand under her head. "Do you think, Alpha Drew, that I am here to kill your pack?"

He looked at her for a moment and seemed to have an inner battle. Finally he spoke "No, no I don't think you're here to do that. But I think you're holding something back."

She got up from her bed and walked over to him. She leaned in close to him and grabbed the silver bars with her bare hands. His eyes widened before he masked his face from her. But he could not mask his eyes, the colour of sky, and they shone with curiosity. She felt like she could trust his eyes. She whispered "Alpha Drew, I'm always holding something back."

                                                                                    ***

Drew left after that, muttering something about patrol and coming back later in the afternoon. She was fine with it, she liked being alone. She talked to more people this day then she had in, well in as long as she could remember.

She turned her head to look at green eyes. He had been so silent that she almost forgot he was in the room. She realized with a start that he must have been listening to her and Drew's conversation.

He met her gaze and then she did something that made him pause. She laughed. "Not the betas goody two shoes son now are you darling?" Smiling at him, she watched him swallow hard and turn back around to stand guard.

She walked around her cell with her right hand touching the walls and fought down the feeling of being trapped. She could get out of here whenever she wanted she kept reminding herself. She was here for a reason.

She slid down the wall, pulling her knees up to her chest and hugged them close to her body. Her head hit the wall, she closed her eyes and she concentrated on breathed in and out. In and out. In and out.

"Hey, you okay?" A voice broke its way through her panic. Green eyes.

"Fine. Leave me alone." She grounded out. Not opening her eyes she could sense his disbelieve and it made her feel weary. She never had someone ask her if she was alright. And she didn't know how to feel about it.

"Yeah. Okay. Like I believe that." He sounded like he rolled his eyes. She peeked at him from beneath her lashes. He was smiling lightly at her, like he didn't want to scare her and that's what did it for her. She got up with a jolt.

"You shouldn't care about me, care about you and what's going to happen if you aren't ready." She shut her mouth. She shouldn't have said all that. It's just that she got scared. She didn't know how to react when people were nice to her.

She hardened her face and looked away from his. She didn't want to meet his eyes. Lucky for her she was spared talking again when the Alpha, beta and Matthew came to a halt in front of her cell.

"Something happened." It was not a question but a fact. She knew they would come and she was fighting to hold off a smile. She would have her revenge soon.

The beta nodded. It was the first time he had responded to her. "Some of our older pack members were found dead with their throats slashed by what looked like claws." His voice was unflinching and even.

She kept her face neutral. The Alpha spoke "You knew this was going to happen." She nodded. "What else do you know?

That gave her an idea. "I'll make you a deal. Ill give you the information you need and in return you do one tiny little thing for me. How does that sound?" She made her voice indifferent like she didn't care about what they decided when she was secretly crossing her fingers.

"I suppose you want out of here." The Alpha said.

"That would be nice. But no, I want something else."

"And what would that be?"

"I want the man in charge of the people who want to kill your pack"