Chapter 63

Chapter 63 

--------------------------- 

Antonio sat in the high backed leather arm chair in front of the sleeping hearth. The Former Dominion was a descendent of the Seventh Line, Born in Italy, Lord of snake-men and their Pecatta all over the world. His wife was the descendents of the Second blood line. Blood never forgets its history and often it tends to repeat itself. Given his origins the Dominion wasn't surprised to see his enemy, friend to his second son, seated before him dressed as a noble, while he sat in rags. Oh well, what once was first... 

"Good evening, my friend." 

Salazar chucked, sitting back in his seat smiling. 

"How can you call me your friend? Aren't I your enemy?" 

"Yes, but since we aren't on the battle field I consider this a friendly conversation." 

"I applaud you for being so calm."

"When you get as old as me, there is no longer a need for worry. If I remain calm there are no troubles."

Salazar looked at the man....looked at the thing before him. Old was not something that would describe him. The Dominion had to be about two thousand years old at the least, and that was still young for his species. However, the man didn't look a day over forty. 

"What do you want Salazar?' 

"Forfeit the throne.' 

"I have." 

"No, forfeit it to your son, that way we won't have to make an example out of you." 

"Salazar, even if I were to hand over this kingdom to Leonardo he'd still kill me. That's just how the boy is." 

Antonio sat in silence staring at Salazar.

"You can admit that?"

"Tell me what you have really come here to say. As you well know I'm pressed for time."

Salazar stood up and walked over to Antonio's seat, he stared down at him with the most serious expression the Snake-man had ever seen.

"Before you die, I wanted to be sure of something."

"Get on with it then."

"Do you remember me Antonio?"

The Dominion quickly glanced over him and shook his head.

"You're a liar."

He circled the chair smiling as he recounted a past the the Dominion had tried to forget.

"You don't remember your wedding day?"

"Of course I remember that."

"Then you'd remember our conversation on that morning. We were in the hall that led to the building if Judgement, and I was desperately trying to find you. When I did, I was shocked."

"I don't-"

"Let me finish. I told you that I was going to leave the palace and you didn't want me to go. There were plans that we had made and you dropped me at the last second. You didn't come with me and so you became my enemy. I think I deserve to know why you chose to stay, and stop this amnesia bullshit."

The Dominion sighed, and rested his head on his hand.

"What we discussed, would have created a future wrought with desolation."

"You had a vision..."

"The night before my wedding day. It had two parts. I saw what would happen if I went and what would happen if I stayed. The latter was a better outcome."