Chapter 66

Two Weeks Later-At Home

Angela knocks and walks in.

Angela: Maura. Sweetheart.

Maura: Good morning, Angela.

Angela: Hi. How you doing?

Maura: Oh, I don't know. (sighs) I don't know.

Angela: Go ahead, Maura. Let it out.

Maura: I'll get us some coffee.

Angela: A tragic accident like that you never really see it coming.
[inhales deeply] I am worried about Jane. Her and Casey were so close, and well, with the pregnancy and all those hormones. She's always been so good about sympathizing with others. But when it comes to her own feelings, she bottles everything up. She needs to let it out. So do you. You need a good cry, a big cry.

Maura: We will. In time. Dabda.

Angela: Gesundheit?

Maura: The stages of grief. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. It's from Elisabeth Kubler-Ross' seminal work in the mid-20th century. Though current research shows that yearning is actually a more accurate expression of the final Okay.

Angela: That all sounds great. When's the crying start?

Jane walks in.

Angela: Hey.

Jane: Morning, Ma.

Angela: Hi, honey. Where you going?

Jane: To the station.

Angela: Don't you think it would be better - to stay home and feel your feelings?

Jane: Ma, Casey loved his work. He wouldn't want me to just curl up and stop doing mine.

Maura: I don't think that's what your mom's suggesting. Maybe-maybe you can sit down, have a cup of coffee? Real coffee. I can make us all some breakfast.

Jane: I'll take the coffee. See ya later.

She walks out.