Chapter 85

At BPD

Maura walks in and Angela stops her.

Angela: Hey. I'm all worried about Jane. I think we have a problem.

Maura: And by "we," you mean?

Angela: Twice this week, I offered to make you guys dinner. She refused.
If I call her on her phone at night, she doesn't answer.

Maura: You don't think she's sleeping, do you?

Angela: If I ask her where she was, she gets all defensive. I-I mean, I think she may be cheating on you.

Maura: Oh, ma. Come on.

Angela: The last time she kept a secret from me, she was smoking cigarettes with Casey behind Papa Gino's, remember?

Maura: You do realize you're talking about elementary school.

Angela: Listen, can't you just find out something for me?

(Elevator bell dings) (She gets in)

Maura: Okay. But I-I think you're being paranoid, okay? And I don't think Jane is smoking-Or cheating on me.

Angela: I'm not paranoid. I'm protective.

(Elevator bell dings)

Maura: What we got?

Korsak: Peter Baldwin was a V.P at an electronics firm. Talked to his co-workers they liked him. Seemed like a normal guy.

Maura: Yeah, except for the whole post-apocalyptic survival thing.

Frost: What side of the door do you want to be on?

Korsak: What's that?

Frost: It's a popular motto among preppers. Oh, they seem nuts until the day the shit hits the fan, then we all come running to them for toilet paper.

Korsak: You've been doing research?

Frost: Or I'm a prepper. I'm not a prepper. But it's not some weird fringe group. There's thousands of these bunkers all over the country. Whole websites devoted to designing them.

Maura: There are websites devoted to costumes for cats. Doesn't mean they're not crazy.

Korsak: We're gonna go to CSRU, see if they found anything at the scene. Sign this birthday card. Lisa in dispatch turning 40.

Maura: Mm. The dreaded "F" word.

Korsak and Frost walk out.

(Pen clicks)

Maura: Okay. 40...is the new 30. No. 40...is just a number. (Scoffs) 40 Kind of sucks. Happy Birthday. Love, Maura.

She puts it down on Korsak's desk and sees a retirement packet.