Chapter 1

Tsuna sighed. He was here again, back in this very same spot. The wilderness around stared right at him, nothing had changed at all. The trees were still purple with green leaves sprouting out from its branches and it had odd vines crawling up whatever it touched like it was some sort of weed. There were many multi-colored flowers decorating the ground almost like a paintbrush had splattered across it and the sky was still blue with pink clouds floating along. There were noises of animals from the bushes, the leaves rustling at any movement, and if he listened really closely, he could hear the rushing sound of water in the distance.

He grumbled to himself. He had been forced to take the test again, to see if he would be able to form a pact with one of the residents of this world, Meraviglie. This world and the world he lived on, which was Earth, were interconnected by an invisible pathway. This pathway acted as a barrier to prevent the two worlds from seeing and touching each other, but at the same time, granted the people of both worlds the ability to travel between them. Those from his world created manmade portals called Cremils in multiple places that would allow the people of Earth to go over.

However, only certain people were able to go. These people needed to have the ability to create pacts, a special magic that was generally passed down by genes, but it wasn't uncommon to find a person who wasn't related to a carrier able to do so, though extremely rare. These people, very few in numbers, were allowed to go to Meraviglie and gain pacts with the residents in that world. What they did with these pacts was left up to them, but many companies and people wanted to hire these Capturers, people that can make pacts, for protection and other reasons. Whether it was for good or evil was left up to the Capturer themselves, however, there was always a group out there to keep watch over their actions as a just in case.

A pact that the Mervaiglians and Capturers made was more like a contract between the two people. The Capturer generally had to battle, either physically or in smarts, depending on the opponent, and if the Meraviglian decided that the Earthling was worth it, would agree to the terms. Sometimes the pact was forced, like if a person beat the other into submission, and sometimes it was mutual where they had an equal agreement. An example would be that the Capturer wanted someone to protect him while the Assurer, another name for a Meraviglian in a pact, wanted to travel. They could easily benefit from the pact.

But no matter what, or how the professors and scholars tried to flower it all up, it sounded like slavery to Tsuna. The brunet wasn't the type of person that could do these sorts of things. He didn't want to enslave anyone. He didn't want to make anyone miserable because of something he had done. He just wanted to go home, go back to his previous life, despite his obvious failure.

In truth, Tsuna had no talent for this. He wasn't physically strong or smart or something like that. He just wasn't really good at anything and was known as Dame-Tsuna to everyone in his school. Though he was twenty-one, he never really succeeded in life. His middle and high school grades were just barely passing, adequate to get him by with his life and continue onward. He was lucky enough to get into an art and culinary school, though not the best, and it was something he was completely delighted in as an accomplishment.

By the time he was nineteen, he was still living with his mom even after passing high school and going to college. It wasn't until that time when his father came home to drop him off at Relinquish University, a hidden school that only accepted those with pact abilities, that his life was turned upside down. He had been forced to live here in the dormitory and surrender to multiple tests that had many times given him serious injuries. This wasn't a place he wanted to be. He wanted to go home and go back to his old college.

Sighing to himself, Tsuna settled onto a rock in the middle of the open field, a place he had been coming to ever since he had found it a year ago. He watched as petals from the glowing flowers fluttered up into the air, getting caught in the wind and flying away to some other piece of land. It was a beautiful site, quite mesmerizing, and he wouldn't mind sitting here the whole day to just watch. If he had a camera or some paper with him, he would love to keep this scene in his memory forever. But he wasn't allowed to bring any devices or items unless it was approved by the school.