Chapter Seven

That night, after stealing kisses from Reagan every chance I got, I retired in Alec's room. I was upset that I could no longer sleep with my love, but she knew all my secrets and she accepted them. She loved me back, and that made up for our separation.

Alec's room did not smell heavenly like Reagan's did. It smelled musky and manly. It made me long for my princess even more. Alec and I made minimal conversation, unsure of what to say. He was tossing and turning in bed while I stared at the fire from my makeshift bed on the divan.

"Mother says that I will be marrying soon," he said quietly. I sat up to acknowledge him. His hands raked through his hair. "Two days to be exact. She arrives tomorrow from the southern kingdom. I will be Emberwood's new King. Father...he ruined so many lives, murdered men, women, and children. I cannot do that."

"You don't have to. Your father was stealing money and those who worked for him found out. He was a coward, fearful that he would lose his power. Do not cheat the people. Then you won't have to ruin their lives."

Alec was quiet as he thought about what I said. "You were one of them, were you not? My father killed yours. Sawyer's as well. You killed mine as revenge."

"You are very intelligent. You will make a great king."

"Thank you. I would like you to know that I approve of your relations with my sister, even if you are a woman. Normally I would not agree to this, however, you have made her happier than she has ever been. I thank you for that."

"Thank you for not exposing us." I grinned, though shocked he knew I was not a man.

"You only had the good of the people and Reagan in mind."

"You are my responsibility now, your well-being is important too."

Alec chuckled quietly, signaling the end of our conversation. I never knew he was so observant. Maybe it was I who was not observant. I sighed contently, lying back down. Sleep wasn't very far away.

The next morning I woke Reagan up with a kiss. She groggily giggled, kissing me again and greeting me good morning. After she got ready, she, Alec, Sawyer, and I went to the dining room. Queen Lydia was already waiting. She was seated next to a young woman.

The young woman was the princess from the southern kingdom. She had fair skin and hair. Her eyes were a light blue, looking terribly innocent. Her cheeks had a red tint as well as her lips. Her lips were turned upward into a polite smile. She was undeniably gorgeous. A sharp pinch on my arm made me jump and face my glaring princess. Reagan shook her head.

"Alec, this is Blanche, the princess from the Southern kingdom. She will be your bride."

Very tensely, Alec approached her and bowed politely, kissing her hand. The princess curtsied with a grin. A medallion dangled from her slender neck and in between her bodice-clad breasts. The medallion looked familiar, and I found myself staring intently.

"Stop staring at her breasts." Reagan swatted my arm maliciously.

"I'm not," I hissed quietly. "That medallion...I've seen it before." My eyes were welded to the golden circle with an intricate tree carved into it.

Realization hit me like a jouster. My swords were spinning in my hands as I shoved Alec out of the way. My forearm hit her neck, pinning Blanche to the wall. She smirked over the cries of confusion from the others.

"Who the hell are you? Why did you send those men to kill Reagan?"

"I'm the princess," She said in a sickly sweet voice. "I sent my men to kill her because her dear mother wants her dead."