***Heartless***{13}

On Monday, Jace drove both of us to school, supposedly to make sure I actually went. I shrunk down in my seat as he pulled into a parking space and turned the engine off, looking over at me. “Will, c'mon. The sooner you face this, the sooner it's gonna be over.” he mumbled. I snorted in response.

“Yeah well, I'd rather face it, let's see, never.”

He rolled his eyes, putting his hand on my knee. “Willow. Get out of my car. I don't want your ass imprinted on my seat.” he smiled quickly before getting out and grabbing his bag from the backseat. “Oh, I see how it is. Here I am, going to my ultimate doom, and all you care about are ass imprints.” I mumbled to myself before getting out as well. Jace smirked at me over the top of the car and headed toward the entrance as I quickly glanced around, and Oh my God they're staring already...

We managed to make it to Jace's locker unscathed. “See? What did I tell you. Nothing's gonna happen. There's gonna be some staring, and that's about the extent. They would have done something by now.” he said.

“Maybe they're feeling lazy because it's a Monday.”

Jace froze and slowly turned to me with a blank expression. “Willow. Stop being so fucking pessimistic, damn it.”

I glared at his back as he walked away, slowly following him to homeroom.

By the time Art was over, I was starting to believe Jace. Maybe people would just stare for a few months. It was a rather pleasant thought until we got to lunch.

I was following Jace to our table, staring at whatever it was that was covering his tray. I never ate at school. “Will, stop looking at my food like it's not there. You're gonna make it shy.” he said with a slight smirk, making me shake my head at him as I noticed a few football players out of the corner of my eye and stopped walking.

They started walking toward me, making my arm shoot out to grab Jace's and only meeting air. Jace had already walked ahead and was sitting down at the table. The jocks stopped in front of me, the one in front raising an eyebrow. His jacket said his last name was Karow, apparently. “You're in the way.” he said. I felt myself release a breath I hadn't known I was holding in as I stepped to the side, starting to head to my table when a hand on my shoulder stopped me again.

“Where do you think you're going?”

My eyes slid shut and I sighed to myself as Karow came back in front of me, tilting his head slightly in a way that made the veins in his neck pop out. I was pretty sure he was on steroids anyway.

Karow's hand on my shoulder tightened, making me wince slightly as he got closer. “So, I heard from avery good friend of mine this weekend that you, my friend, are questioning your sexuality?”

I refused to answer, looking down at the floor between us as I heard him sigh. “I'll rephrase,” he mumbled, getting even closer so I could smell his breath, which made me gag slightly, “You a fag now?”

I looked up and gave him a blank expression to which he leaned back and shook his head. “You had to do things the hard way.” he sighed, taking his hand off my shoulder. I was about to walk away when suddenly something wet slid down the back of my neck and shoulder blades. I almost shivered when barely a second later I realized that whatever it was, it was scorching hot.

I bit my tongue to hold in the scream from feeling my skin burn, forcing my hands to stay straight as I ignored the laughter from Karow and whoever had poured something down my back fade as they walked away. After a few seconds I walked away as well, out the opposite direction and to the nearest bathroom, going into the large back stall and tearing my shirt off, which was covered in the hot substance, and pressing my back against the cold metal the stall walls were made of. I bit my tongue again, harder this time and tasting blood as my eyes watered to keep in any noise of pain that threatened to escape.