2. The Faceless Boy

"So, Andrew, how's the new home?" my father asked.

I just want to sit in the car and run away as far as I could. That what I wanted to say.

" Hmmm, It's nice." I said

"Nice..?" father said with a surprise. "Nowhere on the Earth we can find this type of house in such an affordable price. I just love the architecture of this house."

"You can take the room on first floor. We have selected that one for you already", my mother said.

"ok, fine" I said. I took my guitar and started marching on the stairs. I was just missing my old home. I mean, I had all of my friends over there. My mother said something from behind, but I was so busy in my own thoughts that I couldn't make out. Also, I didn't try to understand because I wanted to show my hidden protest. Yeah, that's what shy and timid guys do.

***

I entered my room. It was clean for the most part and wasn't painted because I was able to see marks of the painting or photograph on the walls left behind. There were some old and broken toys lying on the shelves. This room probably belonged to some little boy as there was no trace of anything girly. What can be worse than a 15-year-old getting a room of 10-year-old boy? But something even worse was waiting for me in that house.

That night I lay on my uncomfortable bed trying hard to sleep. I was too hot as the AC wasn't setup yet in my room. I was continuously sweating. I opened the window, but there was no clue of air from that too. I was missing my days spent at my old home. I don't remember the point when I drifted into deep slumber.

At midnight, I felt something. It felt like I was getting pressed between blocks of ice. I woke up and saw that it was freezing. I noticed that the window was opened. I closed the window and when I turned back towards the bed. I saw someone was lying in my bed. He was completely covered with the blanket. I wondered how could this happen.

"Who is there in my bed?" I said.

No reply!

"I said...SHOW YOURSELF!!!" I screamed.

No reply again!

I slowly moved toward the bed. I could feel that someone breathing. I grabbed the edge of the blanket and swiftly lifted. And I was frozen with the scene that awaited me. There was a body of a little boy lying on the bed with his face smeared in blood. I couldn't make out the details of face...the nose, the eyes and the mouth, all were missing. It looked like it has been smashed with something. It was like someone had cut off his entire face with a knife or something. There was blood on his clothes and his hand was bent abnormally. But how he could be breathing?

Suddenly there was movement and he sat on the bed. Before I could move back he grabbed my hand with his bloody hand. My heart started beating fast. I closed my eyes and started to scream.

When I opened my eyes I was in my bed. My heart was still racing. It was a nightmare. I told myself to calm down. But it was freezing and the window was still open but this I didn't have the courage to shut it. I slipped under the blanket and tried to sleep. It was hard because the faceless-boy was revolving in my head. Somehow I was able to sleep again. I thought, such things happen with everyone once in a while. But I was wrong!

***

"Just 5 minutes more Mom. " I pleaded burying my head into the pillow. But she didn't say anything and kept on shaking me.

"Mom, I said just leave me alone, I'll ready in time. " I said irritably. But she kept on shaking my body vigorously.

I turned back and removed my blanket from my face. I was stunned to the same faceless boy sitting next to me shaking my body. He tried to grab my hand again. But this time I was sure this wasn't a dream so I screamed and rushed toward my parent's bed room. I told the whole incident. But they didn't believe me. They must have thought that I was making a fake story to shift back to our old home. But I sweared I wasn't. I knew what I saw and that was real.