Chapter 31

When Ryan finally comes home the clock's just striking ten, and I'm curled up on the couch with my mom, in the dark, watching TV. I'm not exactly sure why I decided to come downstairs in the first place, seeing as I'm mad at her for being mean, but I figured it was a lot better than crying alone in my bedroom.

While I was sitting there watching TV, I wondered if she had already forgotten about my grounding - and trust me, I wouldn't be surprised if she had.

My dad's upstairs, hidden in his bedroom, because he's clearly still far too weirded out by any talk that involves me and Ryan, together. Let alone, me crying about Ryan over something like sex (not like he knows we're fighting over that, at least, oh, dear god, I hope not). I mean, I love my dad and all, but come on, yes, you're son is gay and dating the pastors son, but no, that does not mean you're going to hell for it. Can we please move on now?

However, I have to give it to him, because before making his escape, he gave me an awkward pat on the back, and a mumbled 'good, um, luck'.

Okay and I know I've made it seem like my dads some big homophobe, but he's not. Well, at least not in the George Ross kind of way. But... he just, okay, so when I first told my parents I was gay (or, well, okay, when they found my porn), he was (mostly) okay with it (I mean, after he got over the whole oh my god, guys doing it). He accepted it. But now, I don't know whether it's just because this time, I actually have a boyfriend (one that he knows about) or if it's just because it's Ryan, the pastor's son. If anything, he'd be more of the scared kind of homophobe, then the hate kind.

Anyways, back to the important thing, Ryan. He comes stumbling in, all disheveled with red eyes, and my first thought is, oh my god, is Ryan Ross drunk? He stands at the entrance of the living room, just behind the television, and looks at me, all cuddled up next to my mom while she pets my hair (shut up, yes, I still cuddle with my mom when I'm upset).

"Hi," he mumbles after a few minutes of us just staring back at each other in silence.

"Um, hi," I murmur back, heart thumping. "I was wondering if you were um, gonna come home."

"Uh, yeah..." he says, awkwardly as he looks around the room with a lost look on his face like he's never stepped foot in my house before, never mind him living here for the past month.

"Where were you?" I ask, slowly picking myself up from the couch, and my moms hold.

He shrugs, and keeps his eyes away from me. "At a friends."

I narrow my eyes, suspicious, because I already called Jon and Spencer, and neither of them said they had seen him after we left this morning. And, like, no offense or anything, but what other friends does he have? Certainly not those little churchie's anymore. However, I let it go, because I'm really not in the position to be questioning him, or hinting at him being a big fat liar. "Okay, well, want to go and talk?"

He shrugs again, and fakes a yawn. "I'm really tired actually. Maybe tomorrow?"

My stomach and I kind of want to start crying again. "Oh, um, okay..." I mutter.

"Thanks."

We stand at the landing of the staircase for a few minutes, in the most awkward silence ever, with my just in the other room, probably straining her ears to hear.

I'm still wondering if he's drunk, but he's not slurring, and its Ryan Ross after all, so I pretty much really doubt it.

"So..." Ryan starts, as his eyes wander up the stairs. "I was thinking maybe you could like, sleep in the guest room tonight, because, you know, like, yeah..."