Chapter 2

After everybody else went to bed, Chuck broke the silence, " Don't worry about feeling different, I'm the first boy under 14, and they teased me lot. If you need to talk about anything, you can talk to me. Ooh! We could be BFFs! We can't have bestie bracelets, but we could pretend. And we could always be together, and we could be called.... oh, well you're gonna need your name first...."

" Ok, ok I think we both need to get some sleep now, but sounds cool!" I said quickly to stop him from going any further. My fatigue quickly took over, and I feel into a deep sleep.

"Rise and shine sleeping beauty, got a long day ahead." I looked up and saw an annoyed Minho with hands on hips and a sarcastic smirk. " I really rather not" "Well to bad sunshine, we got stuff to do"

" So first things first, we're gonna need to show ya around."

"There are many jobs that we can put you in. There's the Builders, the Bricknicks, Sloppers, Baggers, Cooks, Track-hoes, Medjacks, Slicers, and the Runners. I'm the Keeper of the Runners. All the Keepers are part of our council, and are in charge of making sure that everyone working for them does their part. Alby is our leader, making sure that every single person is working, everyday, all day. Newt is second in command, so whenever Alby's not here, it's him in charge."

I realized my stomach was rumbling and that I hadn't had any food here in the Glade yet.

"So when's breakfast? " I asked, hoping he said now.

"Well, we'll be a bit early but, it'll give you a chance to see Frypan at work"

We walked over to a larger hut with an open door, and stepped in. There were a few poorly put together benches and tables, then a counter, where I was guessing was Frypan was standing, preparing some sausage.

"Hey, greenie, want some slop?"

"Sure, whatcha got?"

"Well, it's not much, but we've got some sausages and oatmeal"

"I'll take it", I said, while I looked around. The only other people were in the back, probably preparing more for later. I took my tray and went to the farthest table facing out.

Shortly, Minho came and sat facing me. I started to dig in, not noticing how fast I was eating. Minho cleared his throat, catching my attention.

" So, today we-"

I interrupted him by curtly standing up and walking back over to the counter. Frypan looked up, seemingly reading my mind, a tiny smirk came across his face as he leaned down and started to get his tongs and a ladle.

"This is a one time thing, ok?

"Right, and thank you" I really was grateful, because my stomach was still empty even after all that I'd just stuffed in my mouth. I went back to a very annoyed Minho.

"Well, as I was saying...."

He was again interrupted by the light rumble of about a dozen very hungry looking boys.

"Go on," I replied jokingly.

He rolled his eyes and kept eating.

Sighing, he spoke up, " So today your gonna get the tour by..."

"Me" A soft voice said as the owner sat next to me.

It was Newt.

"Uh umm" Dang it! I'm totally messing up!" "S-sounds good! " What! What was that! 'Sounds good? '

I went went back, not noticing how gross I must have been