Chapter 3: Those left behind

Sally and Paul were told by Poseidon and Nico, told that their son would not be coming home. Their son had given his life to save them and stop more bloodshed; their son had put the earth to sleep.

Sally was depressed, her Percy, her pride and joy would not be coming home this time, she had lost him before he could even say goodbye. She was expecting another child too, just barely showing, but she was pregnant with Percy's brother. She and Paul had been to the funeral but the death was still fresh so Sally walked out in Percy's favorite park. She sat there on a bench watching as the children played on the play structure, she had a hand on her belly.

"May I join you?" a gentle voice came from beside her. It was an old lady, the type you expect in the park feeding the birds, her eyes held such emotion and wisdom it was as if she had seen everything the world had to offer.

"Of course," Sally's voice was still weak from all the tears she had shed and all the sobs that she and Paul shared.

"Who have you lost?" The old woman said as the sat next to Sally, facing the children, watching them in a melancholic trance.

"What?" Sally hoarsely responded.

"I am a mother just as you, I know the face of a grieving mother." The way she spoke made Sally trust her.

"My son, he died. Saved a lot of people but let himself die so they could live." As Sally spoke, tears welled in her eyes.

"I know that feeling, I had a son that sacrificed himself to save his sister, I watched my children grow and learn, how they lived in harmony and worked together and loved each other." The old woman paused to wipe her eye, "I have lived for so long watching my children, but all of them have gone off, grown up and two of them have fallen before me, something no one should experience. Burying their child."

"My daughter is my eldest, my first child. I have watched her since she was born and I have never been more proud of anyone in my entire life, she is certainly one of a kind." The woman continued, "I have watched her become a loving mother but just like me she had to let them go and watch them live. Just as you had to let go of your son."

Sally watched the woman as she continued to gaze at the children playing.

"I know that I am proud of my children, all of them. They are my greatest decisions, never would I change that. I love them more that anything and by the way you speak of your son I know you feel the same way."

That is when Sally spoke with tears in her eyes, "I am more proud of him than he will ever know, he is a hero. I just never planned on saying goodbye." Sally paused to swallow a sob. "I wanted him to see his little brother or sister. He would have been able to teach them and be proud of them just as I am of him."

"Your son loved you, he loved you so much if you felt that way about him than there was no way that he didn't." That is when she stood to leave, "And I know that your son will grow to be brave and brilliant, a true son of yours and that his brother is already so proud of him." And the woman was gone; Sally blinked back tears before she got up and rushed home, right into Paul's arms. A smile on her face and tears mixed of joy and pain.

...

Amphitrite never liked Percy, but seeing Poseidon like this was heartbreaking. He was crying and depressed and she didn't know how to comfort him. She was swimming through the gardens trying to think of a way to be there for him when she bumped into someone.

A young mermaid was there, upon seeing who ran into her the child quickly bowed and apologized. "Lady Amphitrite, I am so sorry that I was in your way."

"No child it is alright I was a little distracted as it is." Amphitrite responded.

"Do you want to talk about what troubles you?" The child asked, Amphitrite didn't know what to say before the child grabbed her hand and led her to a patch of the short soft grass like seaweed and sat them down. "My mom told me that I am a great listener."