P r o l o g u e

© Copyright at XxDeathlybitexX

® All rights reserved.

Hey guys, This is my first story that i'm doing on my own on wattpad, hope you enjoy it ^.^

Kaila's memory

It was absolutely freezing. It was almost snowing outside and a storm had begun to grow over our suburb. My mother was screaming from downstairs, threatening me to get down. I didn't dare listen to her. My body was trembling with fear over my mother. I knew that she had gotten fed up with something that I did, and I sure wasn't going to go down to find out what.

"Hurry up and get down here Kaila! I swear if you make me go up there you'll regret it! Kaila!"

So many things were passing through my mind all at once; I didn't know what to do.

"That's it, I'm coming up there!"  

My heart skipped a beat. I looked towards my window and ran to it. It was pouring outside now, and the storm was finally passing through. I heard my mother’s footsteps, creeping up the staircase towards my room. I looked towards the door and then back at the window. The creaks from the staircase got louder by the second. I knew that the house was two stories, but I had to take the risk.

"You can't stay locked away in your room forever!"

I decided to stick to my gut and I quickly packed a small backpack with a few important items thrown in. As I was doing so, I came across a family portrait of my father, mother and I. Tears began to fall from my cheek and soaked into the warm cream-coloured carpet. The memories of my childhood rushed back into my mind, distracting me from my mother. 

"Kaila, I really don't want to do this! All you have to do is answer me!"

Her voice woke me up to reality and I hurried to pack my things. I lifted the window up, letting in the wet, cool breeze. I stood at the window and turned to look back at my room. The walls were painted a creamy-brown; my queen-size bed lay directly in the middle, my desk placed in the corner next to my bookshelf. It felt like I was never coming home again. But a loud knock at the door woke me from my thoughts.

"I've had enough of you ignoring me Kaila! You brought this on yourself!" My mother opened the door of my bedroom to find no sign of me anywhere. "What? Where are you Kaila? Come out come out wherever you are! You can't stay hidden forever!"

After a couple of seconds, my mother ran to the open window.

"KAILA!! COME BACK HERE NOW! I MEAN IT! IF NOT, I'LL HAVE TO COME AND FIND YOU MYSELF!"

My mother ran down the stairs and out the front door.

I was gone. I had jumped, jumped out through my bedroom window and fallen on my side. The pain was so terrible that I felt like I wouldn't be able to walk again. I knew that I had to flee, so I tried my hardest and got up. My eyes began to water and as I got up, all I could think about was the amount of pain in my side.

From behind, I could hear the sound of my mother’s footsteps running towards me. I quickly picked up the pace and jumped over the garden in my way. When I ran onto the road, I bolted towards the forest.

All of a sudden, the sounds of footsteps got quieter, and sounded as if it was only me running.  I decided to take a glance behind me, but it was the wrong decision. My eyes widened and I started to shake. When I took that glance, I saw my mother chasing after me. But what frightened me most was the fact that in her right hand, she was holding a large kitchen knife. It was designer brand too. My father had gotten it for her. My heart raced. I ran faster. 

I was across from the forest now and was running towards the opening. I was fast, very fast. But my mother was faster. I didn't want to look back but I did anyway. My heart was racing faster than a cheetah. My mother was about 5 meters behind me now, and it just convinced me to go that bit faster.

My death felt like it was coming. I had arrived at the opening of the forest and ran straight into it. After a while I started to lose focus on where I was going and I tripped over a large rock. I cut deep into my ankle and it was bleeding heavily. I was in absolute agony, which didn’t help the pain from my side get any better either.

I lay on the ground, with blood spewing from my ankle. My mother took this as an advantage. She ran over and hopped on top of me, gripping my arms to the ground. I struggled to get out of her grip, kicking and wriggling in hope that she would release me.

She grabbed my hands, wrapped them behind my back and held them together which her free hand.

"How dare you run away from me like that? I can't believe that you would do such a horrible thing to me after everything that we've been through!"

 "Get off me!" I screamed.

“Why should I? You know exactly what you did! Not only did you run away, but you accepted that invite!”

Shock hit me. She thought that I accepted an invite? An invite for what?

“Invite? Mum, I’ve got no idea what invite you’re talking about! I swear, I’d never leave you, I was just… I was scared. I didn’t know what to do, I had to escape somewhere.”

My mother grabbed the knife and held it across my throat, putting pressure on my throat in the process.

“Don’t feed this crap to me, darling. We both know that you’re trying to feed me a box of lies! This is exactly the reason why I’m going to hurt you like this, because I’ve had enough of all the lying!”

I began to cry. “P-please! I swear mom I did nothing! I p-promise I’ll stay with you and I won’t leave! Just please don’t hurt me!”

"SHUT IT! This is all because of you!" My mother gave me an evil grin and my heart stopped. She raised her arms above her head, with the knife facing towards me. “Goodbye Kaila, say hello to dad for me.”

I watched as the knife drove towards my stomach and soon the knife pierced my skin. The knife drove in deep, sending blood spewing everywhere. I screamed in agony. “STOP IT MOM! PLEASE!” My mother covered my mouth with her free hand, which was also covered in blood. She then continued and stabbed me another two times in the stomach.

*   *   *

My vision began to blur but not enough for me to miss out on what happened next. Out of nowhere, a man, who I couldn't see clearly, ran in and pushed my mother off me. He tried to get her into a lock position before my mother punched him in the eye. She crawled on top of me and slid the bloody knife across my neck. I was too weak to scream.

Then man threw her off me and stole the knife from her right hand. Now she had no weapon and was almost harmless. Almost. She ran at him with her fist directed at his stomach, and she got him straight in the gut. He grunted, then got up again to fight. She came back at him, aiming to get the knife, but he knocked her back and she flew down to hit hard on a close tree.

The man bent down next to me, asking if I could hear him. With no response, he checked my pulse. My heart was still beating. He took his top off and placed it on my wounds, putting pressure to help stop the bleeding. Darkness began to creep closer, when my vision blacked out.