V i s i t o r s

It was morning now. The sun was shining through the blinds, burning my skin. The heat from the light was irritating, and began to feel blinding. My arm went up to cover my eyes, in an effort to block the light. 

"Ahh!" I whisper-yelled. The blinds closed immediately and i looked up to see Dylan standing there with a tray of food. "Good morning." He walked over to my bed and placed the tray on my lap. "How long have you been awake for?" He shook his head. "Nah, it's only been a couple of hours. I let you sleep in, i had a book to keep me company anyway." I smiled and began to eat away at my breakfast. "So..." He watched me as i took mouthful after mouthful of my meal. "Yes?" He asked. "Well, i still don't know much about you. I mean, i know you saved me and all, but... Why were you there when you saved me? And how exactly did you know where i was? I mean wasn't i deep into the forest, away from the public eye?" I put my spoon down and waited for a response. He sighed.

"I was... around. I had my car parked on the street and saw you run down into the forest and then saw your mother chasing after you with a knife. It was concerning. I didn't want to stay in the car and watch a girl get murdered when i could do something to stop it. So i got out and ran after you both, but i was too late. You'd already been stabbed three times by the time i'd got there and found you. I just wish i had have gotten out of the car sooner..." I turned away and closed my eyes. 'Why should i be so worried? He was there to save me and i should be thankful for that. I was lucky that someone saw me and saved me, but why do i still feel that he's hiding something?' I shook my head and picked up my spoon again to eat. "No, don't beat yourself up about it." 

The room full of silence hung like a bad smell. We didn't speak for a few minutes untill i decided i was finished with breakfast. "Look, i know you want to make sure i'm okay and all, but i think you should have a break from the hospital. I mean, go get some air. i'll be fine. I can keep myself occupied watching tv. Maybe come back tomorrow?" He was shocked by this, but stood up anyway. He nodded then replied "Okay. I'll come by in the morning. Get some rest and just chill. It shouldn't be too long until.." Dylan said the last sentence quietly, almost under his breath. He picked up his book and walked out the door, waving on the way out. 

What did he say? Shouldn't be long? Until what? I may have only met him a couple of days ago, but i can see that he's hiding something. Dylan has his own secrets that he's hiding, and recently it's become more obvious. 

I sigh. I slid my tray across to the edge of my bed and carefully sat up to turn on the tv. For an hour or so i watched the screen in an attempt to get the worries off my mind. 

                                                                         *     *     *     *

Knock, knock. "Hello, Kaila? May i come in?"  I turn the televsion off and respond. "Yeah, come in." My nurse opens the door and smiles. "How are you feeling Kaila? Your stomach okay?" I nod. "Umm, yeah when i don't move around too much." She walks over to the bed and collects the tray off the edge of the bed. 

"You're scheduled to have a check up around about now, do you mind?" I nod and put the remote down. "What would you like me to do?" i asked her, getting myself comfortable. "I just need you to lay down and relax for now. I'll ask you a few questions and check up on the wound, then i can let you go." 

I waited for her to approach me and she lifted up the sheets. I felt her cold hand against my skin, and i felt a shiver down my spine. It hurt. "Ow, ow! ehhh..." Her hand left my stomach and she wiped her hands on a towel. "I didn't mean to hurt you, i apologise. It looks to be healing as normal, but the wound is still new so it will hurt for a couple more weeks." I nodded and smiled. "Thanks. I was... wondering, do you know how long it will be until i get out? I mean, i'm getting a little bored, and i don't have anything to read." A slight smile crept onto her face. "It should't be too long now, maybe another week? I'm sure we can arrange for someone to bring in a book you can read. I'll let you go now, rest up."